Halloween tricks and treats

How to make the most of your Halloween weekend

As we grow up, Halloween takes on an entirely new meaning. As children, we anxiously awaited for one of the few nights of the year we were allowed to stay up past our bedtimes, stuffing our faces with every kind of candy imaginable. We decorated pillowcases to take trick-or-treating and paraded around in classrooms to show off our amazing costumes.

Today, college students see Halloween as a time to break out the tiniest costumes they can get to cover their bodies and pull pranks throughout the neighborhood. It’s no wonder black cats aren’t sold near or on Halloween. Year after year, cat owners report their black cats are kidnapped, falling victim to a bizarre satanic ritual.

Another favorite prank that seems to blanket the town is toilet paper raids. Children, and some adults, seem to find a twisted form of pleasure in decorating their friend’s lawns in the thin tissue. Maybe it’s an early Christmas decoration, but if you’re smart, you’ll be sure to stock up on the needed supply before the army of children wipe supplies out.

Now, we all know half the fun of Halloween is dressing up. For children, this is perfectly acceptable. After all, everyone hates the lazy kid who went door to door in street clothes. No candy for you! But when a costume is labeled “child small” that’s usually a pretty strong indication it’s for children. Let us repeat: for children. That means for those humans under the age of ten. That’s great if you can squeeze yourself into a little kid’s Batman outfit, but please, no one wants to see every outline of your body. Girls, we realize Halloween allows you to dress a little more provocatively, but remember, there are children roaming the streets when you are stumbling to the bars. Adults, you have all long since graduated from the costume era. Answering the door with a smile on your face and a bucket full of candy is your best bet for a winning costume.

On that last note, if you are expecting monsters and little princesses to knock on your door for some candy, don’t ruin their nights by giving them spare change or a toothbrush. Let them relish in the fact that for one night they can let their teeth rot. You probably hated this as a child, so don’t seek revenge on the youngsters by ruining their night out. Don’t bother trying to trick the children either. Just give them their candy, and they will leave you alone.

Now, we realize that the popular thing to do in college on any weekend is to hit the bars. Being dressed like a gladiator does not mean you can handle more alcohol than usual. As we’ve mentioned earlier, there are kids out on the streets! Drinking and driving is always bad. Drinking and driving when little ghosts can dart out in front of you at any moment is an even worse idea. Just be mindful that for one Friday night, you aren’t the only ones trying to have a good time.