SMU ready for C-USA play

The Mustangs will finally get into the rest of the Conference USA season this weekend, but first Missouri State made a stop at Westcott Field. SMU ended up with a 2-0 victory, but that wasn’t all.

“It got us back home and got some players some playing time that they normally don’t get,” said head coach Schellas Hyndman.

That included starting backup goalkeeper Craig Hill and allowing Aaron Chibli a rare start. It also helped Ben Shuleva continue his connection with the back of the net.

After getting both goals in the 2-2 tie to Tulsa in the conference opener last weekend, Shuleva tallied the first Mustangs goal with what turned out to be the game winner.

“It’s hard for a defending midfielder to get in front of the goal. Today he did it again and was able to put it into the goal,” Hyndman said.

Shuleva tore his ACL in the playoffs last year against the University of California-Santa Barbara and, according to Hyndman, is getting better each week. With three goals in the last two games, Shuleva is proving that on the field.

The Mustangs played a deceptively tough non-conference schedule this season. Playing ranked teams in St. Louis, Virginia, UCSB- last years’ National Champions, and Washington. Mixed in were games against Centenary College and Oral Roberts, but even those teams bring their top game when coming to Westcott Field.

“We’re sitting at 4-2-2 before tonight’s game, that’s not a bad record for the month of September,” Hyndman said. “September is always a difficult month for us; we play so many good teams.”

With the month of October upon the team, it has reached an important part of the season, according to Hyndman. That part continues Saturday at 7 p.m. against the University of Central Florida.