Mustangs make their debut

“This sculpture… fulfills an almost 100-year old dream on our campus—that we have a visual replica of our mascot, the Mustang,” Judith Banes said in her opening remarks at Wednesday morning’s sculpture dedication ceremony for campus’ newest piece of artwork: the sculpture “SMU Mustangs.” Banes, the SMU Director of Recreational Sports, Student Body President Chip Hiemenz, and University President R. Gerald Turner welcomed students, faculty and alumni along with sculptor Miley Frost, donor John W. Carpenter III and both the Human Peruna mascot and live Peruna mascot in front of Moody Coliseum for the unveiling of the 1-1/4 life-size sculpture of three stampeding Mustangs.

Shortly after 11:30 a.m., trumpets sounded the “Call to the Horses” and the cover was removed from the sculpture, revealing the Mustangs, which measure 11 feet long each, and weigh in at 2,500 lbs.

“A Mustang, again by definition, ‘is a wild horse on the southwest plains’,” Hiemenz said. “If you have been to a ballgame in Ford Stadium, you have no doubt witnessed the strength and power of the mighty Peruna. He is so fast and runs with such fury that handlers have a hard time keeping up with him. And he is not just a symbol of our sports teams; he embodies the spirit of the school and represents all that is good about being an SMU Mustang.” Hiemenz went on to express his gratitude on behalf of the student body to Carpenter for the generous donation, and how fitting it was that SMU finally had a proud representation of its mascot, much like other universities across Texas and the nation.

Many of those present at the ceremony concurred with Hiemenz’s sentiments that the sculpture was a much-needed, long-overdue addition to the university. But many people may not know that the sculpture is a culmination of years of planning and the fulfillment of a vision.

The Vision

“The woman who has nurtured this project from the very beginning is Judith Banes,” Turner said during his remarks Wednesday. “I happen to know that Judith has lobbied long and hard to get a symbolic mustang to the campus, and when this project presented itself, she was eager to work with the Carpenters and the artist to bring it to reality.”

Banes, a two-time SMU graduate, has been a part of the Mustang family since 1986, and currently serves as the Director of Recreational Sports in the Dedman Center for Lifetime Sports.

But, as Banes explained, the idea of a life-size Mustang sculpture has been her vision for the university since 1994. It was in that year that graduating senior Wade Baird was shot and killed in January in a robbery attempt at a bar across Central. His family his family directed that any donations in his honor be given to Dedman Center “Wade had worked out in the weight room a lot,” Banes said. That was when Banes met sculptor Frost. “I wanted a life-size sculpture on campus and… not knowing how much they cost, soon realized we didn’t have enough money, but Miley agreed to do the maquette of mustangs in Dedman, by the Wellness offices,” Banes continued. Meanwhile, Baird’s mother kept Banes’ vision in mind, knowing that she wanted the sculpture if and when the Dedman expansion ever happened.

The Sculptor

Miley Frost is one of the nation’s most accomplished and respected sculptors. Her various original works have been commissioned by organizations ranging from the Navy League of the U.S., The Smithsonian American History Museum, the University of Texas and the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library, not to mention several major U.S. corporations. A Dallas resident from 1977 to 1996, Frost’s works can be found locally at the Crescent, Dallas, the San Jacinto Tower and, until Wednesday, in the form of a small maquette sculpture of wild mustangs.

Frost has stayed in contact with Banes since their meeting in 1994. She also has a god-daughter Hannah Lewis who is currently a sophomore art history major at SMU. As banes explained, Lewis’ mother played an instrumental role in asking for the donation.

The Perfect Donor

“SMU Mustangs” was presented to the university Wednesday by John W. Carpenter III in honor of his wife, Cele Slaughter Briscoe Carpenter on the occasion of their 25th wedding anniversary. As President Turner explained at the ceremony, the donor couldn’t have been more fitting.

“It is altogether fitting that this couple have so generously donated these Mustangs to the University,” Turner said. “John and Cele Carpenter are proud Texans who fully understand both history and tradition. John comes from a line of smart and gutsy Texans who loved the land and gave back to community at every opportunity. His grandfather, the legendary Texan, John William Carpenter, was born on a farm near Corsicana, and spent his life building a family, a community, and a legacy.

“Cele comes from another old and much-loved Texas family. Not only is she a descendant of a signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence, her father, Dolph Briscoe was the 40th Governor of this great state. And more importantly, Cele is a 1978 SMU graduate, and we are proud to call her our own,” Turner said.

Banes also added that Mr. Carpenter’s father also created the horse sculpture that now stands in Las Colinas. “There is a lot of history in his family with horse sculptures,” Banes said.

The Project Begins

With a talented sculptor and a generous donor, Banes’ vision began to take shape. As explained in a handout on Wednesday, Frost began creating a clay maquette after much research. The 11 inch tall maquette served as the beginning for the 11 foot bronze sculpture. After this, each of the three mustangs was digitally imaged using a CAD/CAM program that produced Styrofoam figures the size of the finished sculpture. The Styrofoam figures were then sprayed with clay and final definitions to each model to be used for casting. Following six weeks of detailing, the perfected models are cut apart into sections to begin the casting process. Each portion is coated with a thin rubber mixture and dipped in a ceramic solution. When heated, the wax melts and the casting form is complete. Molten bronze is then poured from the crucible into the ceramic forms. This process, known as “lost wax” process is used for the smaller pieces, while the larger portions are cast using a “sand cast” method.

After the bronze cools, the forms are removed and the pieces are welded together, producing the completed figures. Finally, artisans create the desired patina (final color finish) by using special chemicals and a blowtorch.

The Mustangs Arrive on the Hilltop

Installation of the sculpture began on Monday evening, as a crane placed the statue on to its pedestal in front of Moody Coliseum. It was evident Wednesday that those present felt a new degree of pride in the university.

“This sculpture is a wonderful and much needed addition to our landscape,” Turner said. “I anticipate that ‘the Mustangs’ will become a gathering place, and coupled with the Doak Walker, these two remarkable pieces are destined to become SMU landmarks. From this day forward, SMU will have a symbol of the spirit, the enthusiasm, and the character that is an SMU Mustang. Symbolized in this magnificent art piece is every student, professor, parent, and supporter who has been on this campus for nearly 100 years.”

It was also evident that the ceremony meant something special to the clearly excited Banes. “[This sculpture] is a symbol of unity and spirit that unifies generations of students past, present, and future,” she said.