Women’s soccer splits weekend games on the road

SMUs Kimber Bailey (right) tries to headbutt the ball past Texas Tech goalkeeper Tina Rincon (left) during a game earlier in the season.
Casey Lee
SMU’s Kimber Bailey (right) tries to headbutt the ball past Texas Tech goalkeeper Tina Rincon (left) during a game earlier in the season.

SMU’s Kimber Bailey (right) tries to headbutt the ball past Texas Tech goalkeeper Tina Rincon (left) during a game earlier in the season. (Casey Lee)

The SMU women’s soccer team kicked off Conference USA play last weekend with a 2-1 victory over Colorado College on Friday night.

The game was scoreless at the end of the first half, but first-year forward Kristin Medeiros put the Mustangs up 1-0 with an unassisted goal in the 48th minute. Medeiros scored her third goal of the season with a shot into the upper left corner of the net, past Colorado College goalkeeper Geneva Sills.

Colorado came back to tie the score in the 54th minute, when Tiffany Brown hit a ball off the crossbar past SMU goalkeeper Ashley Gunter.

With their first victory of C-USA play on the line for both teams, the Mustangs and Tigers fought until the last minute of the game. SMU’s win was a result of senior forward Brittainy Vice’s second goal of the season in the 88th minute. Senior midfielder Allison Brill shot a long pass across the field to Vice, and was credited with the assist.

Gunter had five saves in the game. The Mustangs outshot the Tigers 12-10, and had 10 shots on goal compared to Colorado College’s six.

The Mustangs advanced to 5-2-1, and 1-0 in C-USA play, while Colorado College fell 5-3-2 overall, and 0-1 in C-USA.

“The altitude played a big part in the games just because when you run that much and the air is thin, it gets very difficult, and I thought we played absolutely wonderfully in both games,” explained head coach Brent Erwin.

The team had their second game of C-USA play in El Paso, Texas, against the University of Texas El Paso Miners Sunday. Unfortunately, this game did not produce the same results as the Colorado game.

The Mustangs overpowered the Miners 9-5 in total shots in the first half, leaving the game scoreless at halftime.

SMU put up an outstanding fight with 18 shots throughout the game, but gave up one goal in the 68th minute to Jo Radcliffe.

“We played just absolutely fantastic against UTEP, and just couldn’t buy a goal. It was like there was glass plate in front of the net,” said Erwin.

Senior midfielder Kimber Bailey led the Mustangs in shots on goal, and Gunter had seven saves during the game. The Miners improved to 8-4-1 overall, and 2-0 in C-USA play.

The Mustangs stand at 5-3-1 overall, and 1-1 in conference play.

The Mustangs will host the Southern Miss Golden Eagles on Friday at 7 p.m. at Westcott Field, and Central Florida will visit SMU Sunday, Oct. 14, at 1 p.m.

Krystal Bailey takes a shot on goal against the Texas Tech Red Raiders. (Casey Lee)