Revealing rape

Sexual assault statistics can be misleading

On April 11, 2003, SMU police filed this report: A studentreported she was the victim of sexual assault. The offense occurredinside Moore Hall early this morning. The victim knows the suspectwho is a former student. The victim has not requested formalcharges be made at this time nor has there been an arrest. Acriminal investigation has been opened.

What happened to this SMU student is not unique. Date rape is asignificant problem at SMU and on college campuses nationwide.

When people think of rape, they might think of a strangerjumping out of a shadowy place and sexually attacking someone.However, according to the U.S. Justice Department, two-thirds ofall sexual assaults are committed by an acquaintance of thevictim.

Dr. Cathey Soutter, the coordinator for Psychological Servicesfor Women at the SMU Counseling & Testing Center, said, “I call them ‘confidence rapes’ because it’ssomeone we have confidence in.”

At SMU, in a core survey conducted in spring 2001 by theMemorial Health Center, 12.3 percent of women and 9.1 percent ofmen surveyed reported that they were taken advantage of sexuallywhile under the influence of alcohol or drugs.

“If a woman is intoxicated, she can’t give informedconsent,” Soutter said. “That’s all rape is— when someone cannot give consent or resist.”

Only four rapes were reported in 2002 to the SMU PoliceDepartment or other university departments, such as the dean ofStudent Life, the office of Residence Life and Student Housing, theSMU Women’s Center, or the SMU Memorial Health Center.

“On the surface it looks like SMU has no problem with daterape, but I think if you dig under all the muck, you’d findthat’s not the case,” SMU police captain Tommy Jonessaid. “The mere presence of [date rape] drugs indicates to methat it happens more than it’s reported.”

Date rape, or acquaintance rape, is forced or coerced sexbetween partners, dates, friends or general acquaintances.

Across the country, the victims of drug-assisted rape do nothave a chance to say no. With an odorless, flavorless sedativesecretly mixed into a drink, they lose consciousness. Rohypnol,GHB, “ActiveSex,” “Roche,””R-2,” “Rib” and “Rope” are allnames describing a date rape drug.

When drugged, victims have a pounding headache and a sense thatsomeone has had sex with him or her. A blood or urine test donewithin hours after the rape may turn up the chemical used to knockthem out.

To minimize the risk of sexual assault, you should resolve todrink only from unopened cans or bottle, or drinks that you haveseen poured. You should never leave your drink unattended and avoidpunch or drinks from containers passed around.

Assuming you are safe because you are on the SMU campus isdangerous as well.

Nearly 60 percent of completed rapes took place on campus andoccurred in the victim’s residence.

“Women are very vulnerable during their collegeyears,” Soutter said. “Rape victims are so unclear andunsure about what has happened to them. They take a lot ofself-blame.”

The Memorial Health Center is working to increase programs andsupport groups for victims of rape and sexual assault. The centercan treat any type of sexual assault, test for HIV and provide themorning-after pill. Twenty-four-hour crisis intervention for anyonedealing with any kind of abuse is also available. All counselingand communication is confidential.

“Make smart decisions, make conscious decisions, andremember consent is necessary,” Soutter said.