Senate brainstorms academic and health improvements

Co-directors of the Health Center, Dr. Nancy Merrill and Dr. Peter Davis spoke at this week’s Student Senate meeting, saying students are not taking advantage of the center. They also asked for suggestions on how to reach those students.

“We want to make sure that anyone who has a health issue has access to health care,” Dr. Merrill said.

Dr. Merrill and Dr. Davis encourage all students with health issues to visit the health center. Even if a doctor is unavailable at a particular time, Dr. Merrill assures students they will be seen by a nurse, and if necessary, a doctor afterward.

Despite that, senators voiced their concern about the age of the equipment being used and more basic needs.

“Why isn’t the health center open for even a few hours on the weekends?” senator Savannah Engel asked.

Funding is a problem for the center, said Dr. Merrill, noting they have had the same budget since she started at SMU in 1982.

“This is an issue we have been dealing with forever,” Dr. Merrill said.

Senator Ryan Pitts and Senator Marc Bullock met with Police Chief Richard Shafer on Tuesday regarding police on campus and what restrictions they have on room and Greek-house searches.

“Police officers say they are bound by law just as we are. Also, they are not allowed to enter a closed room,” Senator Johnathan Bailey said.

“I understand that police officers can’t have a blind eye, but something that might need to be addressed is the abuse of going into fraternity houses,” Senator Charles Slick said.

Pitt said SMU Police has cracked down compared to last year on alcohol violations, especially on game days.

“They feel as if the students who died last year were on their watch and have taken it personally,” Pitt said.

Chief of Staff Jonathan Lane resigned after serving two years in the Student Senate. Lane said he plans to study abroad next semester and felt as if he would not be able to fulfill his duties as chief of staff as a result.

President Katherine Tullos inaugurated Grace Brauser as the new Cox Senator. Tullos also announced that the new Health Educator Christine Casey will speak at next week’s meeting.

Chair Ben Manthey reminded everyone that Senate Scholarship applications are due Oct. 12 at 5 p.m. and encourages all SMU students to apply.

The senate passed a motion to fund College American Hispanic Students $135. The senate also passed a motion to fund Black Men Emerging $375.

Parlimentarian John Jose asked the senate for suggestions on how to increase SMU’s academic ranking.

“I think one thing the university is already doing is creating unique majors, adding more money to scholarships and attracting key administrators,” Senator North said.

Other students had new ideas to promote a higher academic standing

“I think that one way we could increase our academic standing would be to increase the grade curve,” Senator Reed Hanson suggested.

The Student Senate reminded those in attendance to spread word that there is a student’s concerns box at the Mane Desk in Hughes Trigg for students to give ideas on what senate should be working on.