Torchy’s Tacos: Heating up the Boulevard

Sidney Hollingsworth

(Sidney Hollingsworth)

Torchy’s Tacos opened a new SMU location on Wednesday promising some “damn good tacos”, and delicious they are.  The creative menu-which accommodates breakfast, lunch and dinner-includes a “Fried Avocado” taco, consisting of hand-battered fresh avocados served with vegetarian refried beans and topped with pico, lettuce, and cheese. 

But if you’re looking to get a little more “trashy” with your choice, the “Trailer Park” is a must.  The fried chicken, green chilies, pico de gallo, cheese, and queso galore is a mouthwatering treat.  And the excitement doesn’t stop short at the tacos.  The tempting dessert list is a fantasy in itself, particularly the deep-fried bundle of chocolate chip cookie dough bliss- “Lil’ Nookies”

To kick off the newest addition to the other 11 locations in Texas, Torchy’s gave out free breakfast tacos to the first 100 people to line up on opening day.  In addition, each customer was entered into a raffle to receive an entire year of Torchy’s Tacos.  An award-winning menu, eager customers, and a whole lot of hot sauce-Torchy’s is sure to add some spice to the SMU Blvd! 

After a long day of Mustang Corral 2012 training, Corral leaders review Torchy’s Tacos menus. (Sidney Hollingsworth)