Men’s tennis team takes double-header

SMUs Oivind Alver hits the ball during Saturdays double-header against Illinois State and Southeastern Oklahoma State at the Bent Tree Country Club.
Christina Parrish
SMU’s Oivind Alver hits the ball during Saturday’s double-header against Illinois State and Southeastern Oklahoma State at the Bent Tree Country Club.

SMU’s Oivind Alver hits the ball during Saturday’s double-header against Illinois State and Southeastern Oklahoma State at the Bent Tree Country Club. (Christina Parrish)

The SMU men’s tennis team faced a mentally and physically challenging weekend as it hosted both Illinois State and Southeastern Oklahoma State on Saturday at the Bent Tree Country Club. The Mustangs rose to the challenge, beating the Redbirds 5-2 and sweeping the Savage Storm 7-0. The wins put SMU at 3-2 for the season.

David Kuczer played at No. 1 for the Mustangs in the opening match, taking on Yahann Nograbat from Illinois. Kuczer’s opponent kept the Mustang busy with long baseline rallies, but the Redbird was too quick to go for the kill. Nograbat’s lack of patience showed later in the match, helping Kuczer sail to a 6-1, 6-1 victory.

In the No. 2 singles match, SMU’s Federico Murgier lost to Illinois’ Alfredo Lagarda 3-6, 6-7 (6-8). Murgier’s serve was broken in the first game and he overshot many of his groundstrokes.

The No. 1 and No. 2 matches were almost silent compared to the matches on the No. 3 and No. 4 courts. Junior Oivind Alver spent much of his match against Nuno Jacinto at the net arguing over line calls. The Mustang eventually won the match 7-6 (7-5), 6-0, but not before Jacinto was coded for unsportsmanlike conduct. An official spent much of the match on the court watching line calls.

Freshman Robin Faghen didn’t sit quietly, either, as he and opponent Xavier Reart-Ferrer exchanged words over line calls as well. Faghen’s natural athleticism showed in his fluid movements, but his youth and inexperience were evident in his many unforced errors. The Mustang pulled out the victory 6-3, 7-5.

In the last match to finish, Adolfo Solares made his official return to the Mustang squad with a loss at No. 6. Solares went 6-4, 4-6, 6-1, with Redbird Oscar Beich.

SMU also took the doubles point, winning the No. 2 and No. 3 spots. Murgier teamed up with Chris Hooshyar at No. 2 while Alver and Faghen defeated Illinois State at No. 3.

After a short break, the Mustangs hit the courts once again to face Southeastern Oklahoma State, a D-II school. The Mustangs took all singles and doubles matches from the Savage Storm.

Murgier moved up to No. 1 singles against SOSU to defeat Jesse Buchanan in straight sets 6-1, 6-1. SMU’s Hooshyar took on SOSU’s Disley at No. 4 in the battle of the Brits as both players hail from different parts of England. Hooshyar took the victory 6-0, 6-1.

Freshman Ryan Hooker and Rudy Garza played No. 5 and No. 6 singles, winning their first collegiate matches.

Alex Skrypko, who usually plays No. 1 for the Mustangs, was absent this weekend. Skrypko started the season with a nagging injury and chose to cheer from the sidelines on Saturday.

The men’s tennis team hits the road to face Iowa on Feb. 23 and Minnesota on Feb. 25, both in Minneapolis, Minn.