The audience listens to the engaging conversation of the panelists at the 2nd annual AAPI symposium.
AAPI symposium promotes allyship and community building
Grace Bair, Social Media Editor • April 26, 2024

No skillet, but still big game for women’s soccer

The SMU women’s soccer team will return to Westcott Field tonight to take on the TCU Horned Frogs. Following tonight’s match, the team will travel to Stillwater, Okla. to take on the Oklahoma State Cowboys on Sunday afternoon.

The Mustangs had a disappointing week last week with a 4-1 loss to Arizona State and a 0-0 draw against Texas Tech.

When asked if the team has done anything different to prepare for its upcoming games, head coach Brent Erwin said, “We keep to the long term view on things. We don’t do too much to prepare for individual opponents; we try to make sure we’re always playing the way we need to play; this past week has just been a normal week of training.”

While the looming TCU game may worry the football team, the soccer team is not letting the intense rivalry intimidate them. “We always get excited to play TCU because they’re our across-town rivals, and many girls on the team have grown up playing with or against a large portion of their team,” explained Allison Brill.

TCU has a 3-3-2 record, after suffering from a loss against ASU last week. “TCU always really wants to beat us, but so far it hasn’t happened, so hopefully we will keep up the winning tradition,” said Marisa Schieda.

Sunday’s game may pose a different challenge to the Mustangs when they take on No. 8 OSU. The Cowboys defeated Notre Dame last week and will take on Colorado College before the matchup against the Mustangs.

The Mustangs won their last game on the road in a 2-0 victory over Kansas. To get ready for the road trip, the team spent the week getting into their best shape and recovering from last weekend. “We’ve been very careful with the travel preparation, and how we give the kids the right nutrition and everything to make sure they are fully recovered,” explained Erwin.

“It would be a great win for us because they always have a really strong team,” Brill said. “We have been working really hard after our results last weekend, so we should be where we need to be tomorrow night and Sunday.”

Tonight’s game against TCU is scheduled for 7 p.m. at Westcott Field. Sunday’s game in Stillwater, Okla. will begin at 1 p.m.