98th Student Senate inaugurated

Senators elect Speaker, Parliamentarian, Chief of Staff
SPENCER EGGERS/The Daily Campus
Incoming Student Body President Austin Prentice, left, swears in incoming Student Body Vice-President Alex Ehmke and incoming Student-Body Secretary Martha Poole Tuesady afternoon in the Hughes-Trigg Commons.

Incoming Student Body President Austin Prentice, left, swears in incoming Student Body Vice-President Alex Ehmke and incoming Student-Body Secretary Martha Poole Tuesady afternoon in the Hughes-Trigg Commons. (SPENCER EGGERS/The Daily Campus)

Administrators, student senators and students gathered in the Hughes-Trigg Commons Tuesday evening to watch the inauguration of the 98th Student Senate.

Student Body President Austin Prentice told the new Senate that it was time to “make SMU the best university in the country.”

He also promised to work diligently with Senate to accomplish their goals.

“In no way can I promise success in every endeavor, but you have my word the maximum amount of effort will be made on all issues,” he said. “I will not dismiss any concern or idea without actively listening to everything you have to say.”

The new Student Senate met for the first time after the inauguration and elected Senate officers.

Senators elected Ted Belden to be the new Speaker, Alex Morgan to be the new Parliamentarian and Alex Mace to be Chief of Staff.

President R. Gerald Turner congratulated the new senators and thanked them for their commitment to serve the student body as senators.

“It’s an important function, it takes a good bit of time, and all of us appreciate you doing it,” he said.

Turner said he was looking forward to working with Prentice and the rest of his administration.

He also thanked former Student Body President Jake Torres for his service.

Senate Advisor Jennifer Jones offered advice to the new Student Senate.

“Go forth and do what you have been called to do,” she said. “You’ve been called to service; take it seriously because you have been chosen to be the responsible spokesperson for the 300 students that you represent. So it’s not about you. It’s about us. So make us proud.”

Torres also gave the new Student Senate advice, saying they should have virtue in everything they do, always remember the responsibilities they have been given and to have a genuine love of SMU.

“We are incredibly fortunate to go to the greatest school in the nation,” he said, “and if you don’t believe that then you either need to change your mind or change schools, because I really do believe we’re the greatest university ever, and we have such a unique role as student leaders on campus.”

Prentice ended his speech saying Senate’s job starts now.

“Together we can continue to make SMU the best university in the country,” he said. “God bless and Pony Up!”

The 98th Student Senate (SPENCER EGGERS/The Daily Campus)