Breaking down SMU at TCU

Breaking down SMU at TCU

Run offenseB-For the first time this season SMU properly used the run game. DeMyron Martin finally looked like the running back fans hoped he would be after his injury riddled sophomore season. He ran north-south instead of dancing around the line of scrimmage and got quality yards after the tackle, finishing the game with 100 yards and 5.3 yards per carry. He got knocked in the head pretty good at the end of the first half and was ineffective for the rest of the game. If he can regain his senses and come out against UTEP like he did against TCU, then SMU’s offense will be in good shape.

Pass offenseFThe pass offense was responsible for a lethal 14 point swing in the game. The first was a Justin Willis pass that was picked off by TCU linebacker Robert Henson and returned 58 yards for a touchdown. The other was a fourth quarter pass from Willis to wide receiver Devin Lowery that the receiver seemingly batted down rather than catch for a touchdown. Those two plays made a huge difference in the final outcome of a close game. The pocket around Willis was collapsing the entire game, forcing him to scramble and make plays. Receivers down field never got open, costing SMU points in a game where not that many were needed to make a difference.

Run defenseB-The defensive line stepped up for the first time this year and gave SMU a chance to win. Harsh critics will say TCU’s offense was so inept it didn’t matter what the Mustangs did on the defensive side. They would miss a key point – that the defense actually got pressure on the opposing quarterback for the first time all year and also forced two fumbles. The confidence that goes with breaking down an offensive line and imposing your will on the line of scrimmage cannot be underestimated with this group. They held TCU to 142 yards rushing and got a sack in addition to multiple hurries. This is progress and it should continue next week against UTEP.

Pass defenseC+The defensive backs also stepped up this week against TCU. But this unit differs from the frontline – if TCU’s quarterbacks had better precision then several game breaking plays would have occurred and SMU would have been in the same place it had been against Arkansas State and Texas Tech. That doesn’t mean there wasn’t any improvement. There was. SMU held TCU to 108 yards passing – the lowest total of the season by far. The corners and safeties looked more comfortable in the defensive scheme. But there needs to be continued improvement and tighter coverage to ensure offenses won’t run wild over the Mustangs in conference play.

Special TeamsFIt figures in the game where the defensive play improves that the one constant for SMU would mess up. And boy was it a big one – arguably the biggest play of the game. TCU’s Colin Jones blocked a Thomas Morstead punt with four minutes left in the first quarter. TCU’s Bart Johnson picked up the ball and took it in 17 yards for a touchdown that tied the game at 7-7. For the first time all season SMU scored first in a game. The block not only negated the early lead, it immediately swung momentum to TCU.

CoachesDIn a game where points where hard to come by, you have to question going for it on 4th and 1 with less than a minute to go in the second quarter. Especially since it is now known Martin was knocked silly on a previous play and unavailable for the called run. Maaps is a capable back, but Martin was the hot player and the ball would have gone to him. Instead SMU ended the possession with no points. A 21-10 game is much different than 21-7. There’s less pressure to march down the field in the second half and allows the offense to be more flexible. Oh, and this might have been the game where a special teams coach could have come in handy.

OverallC-This game was different, yet oddly familiar. Different in the fact that SMU’s defense finally toughened up compared to previous blowouts. But same in that this looked like a lot of SMU’s losses from last year. Plenty of opportunities to get back in the game but none of them were taken advantage of. SMU had chances to win this game, but they failed to capitalize on the two turnovers from TCU and opportunities in the red zone. That said, the tenacious play has to give some hope that SMU can play well in conference and somehow turn their season around.

Previous Games OverallTexas Tech – DNorth Texas – BArkansas State – F