Both teams looking for solution

Arkansas State running back Preston Brown (No. 25) knocks the helmet off SMU defensive back David Haynes (No. 7) during Saturday nights game in Jonesboro, Arkansas.
Stuart Palley
Arkansas State running back Preston Brown (No. 25) knocks the helmet off SMU defensive back David Haynes (No. 7) during Saturday night’s game in Jonesboro, Arkansas.

Arkansas State running back Preston Brown (No. 25) knocks the helmet off SMU defensive back David Haynes (No. 7) during Saturday night’s game in Jonesboro, Arkansas. (Stuart Palley)

There was a time when SMU and TCU met as the No. 1 and No. 2 teams in the nation. This year the game features two teams looking to get back on track.

The Mustangs’ frustration stems from a lack of defense and being out of games early. TCU’s frustration comes from losing games they clearly should have won. But either way both teams are trapped in situations they don’t want to be in.

SMU’s problems, however, seem a little more troublesome. But fixing it could be the hardest thing of all.

Two years ago SMU put the game on the shoulders of DeMyron Martin, who used that game to turn into a freshman phenom. But after injuries slowed him down last season, people were looking for the revival of Martin. Questionable play calling early in the season has made him a non-factor.

Martin just has 25 attempts and has barely surpassed the 100-yard mark. In the game against TCU two years ago he had 26 carries for 118 yards. So if in arguably the biggest win for SMU over the past couple of years he was so dominant, why isn’t he being utilized?

And everyone knows that Justin Willis is a mobile quarterback, and a quarterback who can take a broken play and scramble for 20 yards is desirable. But when the quarterback accounts for over half the rushing yards for the team it becomes a problem, especially when SMU has two running backs of Martin and James Mapps’ abilities that they showed last year.

But the lack of a running game leads to a lack of a passing game. It also doesn’t help when the team gets down by so much so early.

SMU’s offense needs to use its receiver speed plus Willis’ skills to throw all over the opposing defense. Willis had that kind of game against North Texas. But his career high 353 passing yards in that game was overshadowed by the 601 yards that UNT’s Daniel Meager threw for.

But the big thing lacking is the big play.

The Mustangs have yet to have a running play go for more than 30 yards, and there have only been two long pass plays, one of which was mostly Emmanuel Sanders’ run after catching the ball.

Yes, giving up the points the defense has this year is a problem. But this offense was expected to put up more impressive numbers than they have so far.

The key for SMU this weekend is becoming an offense that puts up big numbers and a defense that stops big numbers. A task easier said than done.

But it still makes for a big rivalry game no matter where the two teams stand. Kickoff is at 7:30 p.m. at Amon Carter Stadium in Fort Worth.

SMU running back James Mapps needs to be utilized more by the Mustangs’ offense. (John Schreiber)