The audience listens to the engaging conversation of the panelists at the 2nd annual AAPI symposium.
AAPI symposium promotes allyship and community building
Grace Bair, Social Media Editor • April 26, 2024

Tough teams ahead for women’s soccer

Photo by John Schreiber, The Daily Campus. Katie Leonard (left) goes for the ball against UTSAs Chelsea Zimmerman (right) in Fridays 2-1 win against the Roadrunners.
Photo by John Schreiber, The Daily Campus. Katie Leonard (left) goes for the ball against UTSA’s Chelsea Zimmerman (right) in Friday’s 2-1 win against the Roadrunners.

SMU women’s soccer returns to Westcott Field this weekend with games against the Arizona State Sun Devils and the Texas Tech Red Raiders.

The Mustangs defeated Kansas last week in a 2-0 victory, improving their record to 2-0. “We had a big win on Sunday over Kansas, so it will be important for us to keep playing well as we go into this next weekend,” explained junior midfielder Marisa Schieda.

“Before Sunday we had been playing a little lethargic so our focus for this week, and the future, is intensity.”

However, the Mustangs are not letting a winning record go to their heads.

“We look to win every physical battle on the field and produce some great goals. This weekend is going to be a tough one, but we are very optimistic about these games,” said Kim Peabody.

The Sun Devils come to Dallas with a season record of 2-2. The latest from ASU occurred when the Sun Devils fell to No. 3 Texas last weekend. SMU will take on Arizona State Friday night at 7 p.m. at Westcott Field.

The Texas Tech Red Raiders also stand at a 2-2 record, and will take on TCU before traveling to Westcott Field. The game against Texas Tech is scheduled for Sunday at 1 p.m.

The Red Raiders, under new head coach Tom Stone, will try to defeat the Mustangs for the first time in the program’s history. The teams have faced each other five times, all of which have been victories for SMU. Last season, SMU defeated Texas Tech 3-1.

“ASU and Tech are both good teams so it will be important for us to beat them to become dominant in Texas, as well as our region,” Schieda added.

SMU goalkeeper Ashley Gunter was recently added to the Hermann Trophy watch list for 2007 after eight saves against Kansas. Gunter was also named to the All-Conference USA team, along with teammates Kimber Bailey and Carley Phillips.