Alumnus Jim Hart honored at Ring Ceremony

SMU’s annual Ring Ceremony took place on Sunday. This tradition, dating back to 1924, commends senior students for their hard work and dedication while at SMU. Over 400 people came to take part in the ceremony.

The ring symbolizes a connection to SMU that will last a lifetime. It serves to bring together the past, the present and the future. The ring carries SMU’s seal on the front. Dallas Hall was the first building at SMU and it is the center for undergraduate education today. On the inside of the ring is an engraving of Peruna to signify both spirit and tradition.

The ceremony began with a welcome from Dr. Lori White, vice president of student affairs. President R. Gerald Turner followed with remarks and congratulations for the students.

This year’s ceremony marked the second year of a new tradition, an honorary ring presentation. The inaugural honoree, Dr. Jim Caswell, served as vice president for student affairs for 19 years until his death on Oct. 22, 2007.

Jim Hart is this year’s honorary ring recipient. Since his graduation from SMU in 1969, he has gone on to write several screenplays including Steven Spielberg’s feature film “Hook” and “Bram Stoker’s Dracula.” Hart is also responsible for award-winning films such as “August Rush,” “Sahara,” “Laura Croft Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life,” “Tuck Everlasting,” “Contact” and “Muppet Treasure Island.”

“You can’t wait for inspiration…you have to go find it, take a stick and beat the hell out of it,’ Hart said.

Hart says he finds his family to be his best story department. In fact, his inspiration for “Hook” came from his six-year-old son.

In addition to screenwriting, Hart also teaches at Columbia University Graduate School of the Arts. Regardless of his booming career, Hart still finds time to give back to SMU.

Student Body Vice President Bethany Peters, who introduced Hart at the Ring Ceremony, commended his help and constant dedication to SMU’s CTV department this year. Under his guidance, she, along with several other SMU students, created a Web series called “D-Town.” Major networks are now looking at picking up the pilot series.

“I have had the great opportunity to be involved in the project as a writer and producer,” Peters said. “I can tell you that, despite Jim’s many other projects, he has been very involved since the beginning of the first day of class.”

Peters went on to express her appreciation for his help, saying, “He cares about his characters and he cares about his students.”

When in France, Hart says he picked up a mantra: “Never grow up; never give up.” He lives by this daily, seeking to get in touch with his inner child to create the best characters possible.

While on stage, Hart displayed his relaxed disposition by taking pictures of the other ring recipients in the auditorium. He went on to express his surprise at receiving such an honor, for it was he, after all, who led the only student demonstration in SMU’s history. He was extremely grateful for the award, saying he could not imagine working with a better group of students.