Women’s soccer defeats Kansas on the road

SMUs Kim Peabody scored the game-winning goal for the Mustangs in a 2-0 victory in Kansas over the weekend. The Mustangs game against St. Louis was cancelled due to storms.
Stuart Palley
SMU’s Kim Peabody scored the game-winning goal for the Mustangs in a 2-0 victory in Kansas over the weekend. The Mustangs’ game against St. Louis was cancelled due to storms.

SMU’s Kim Peabody scored the game-winning goal for the Mustangs in a 2-0 victory in Kansas over the weekend. The Mustangs’ game against St. Louis was cancelled due to storms. (Stuart Palley)

The women’s soccer team was successful on its first road trip of the season.

The Mustangs were scheduled to take on the St. Louis Billikens this past Friday, but the game was cancelled halfway through because of heavy rain. The Mustangs were down 0-1 at halftime when the game was postponed. There is no set date for a rematch.

SMU defeated the Kansas Jayhawks on Sunday 2-0, improving the team’s season record to 2-0 in Conference USA.

The Mustangs’ first goal was a team effort scored by Kim Peabody, who received a straight pass down the sideline from Kimber Bailey. “Kim’s goal really led us off in the first half,” explained Jena Lind.

The Mustangs’ adrenaline continued to run high, helping the SMU defense prevent Kansas from scoring in the first half. The Jayhawks had 10 shots on goal in the first period but were unable to get past SMU goalkeeper Ashley Gunter.

The second half of the game came down to the teams’ defenses, as neither team was able to score, at least at first. Gunter blocked six more shots from Kansas, while Kansas’ goalkeeper, Colleen Quinn, blocked two shots. SMU scored in the 90th minute with an unassisted shot by freshman, Kristin Mederois.

“It was a very good win, and the kids did a good job. It was a very difficult game. Kansas is a good team, and they play a very direct style,” said head coach Brent Erwin.

While the Mustangs were victorious, there were some complications during the game. “We had about two yellow cards, but we played well and came out with a win!” Lind said.

“We had to work very hard, but the kids did great, and we’re very happy to come away with a win,” said Erwin.

So far, the season has proved to be promising for the women. With victories over Texas-San Antonio and now Kansas, they are one step closer to reaching their goal of winning a conference championship, and a Sweet 16 appearance. “The hard work, early practices, road trips and resulting wins are coming together to make a successful women’s soccer team at SMU,” explained Alyssa Pembroke.

SMU women’s soccer will return to Westcott Field this weekend for a busy schedule. The Mustangs will take on the Sun Devils from Arizona State Friday at 7 p.m., followed by the Texas Tech Red Raiders on the 16th at 1:00 pm.