Watch the Super Bowl; pursue your passion

During the Super Bowl halftime show, Bruce Springsteen shocked the world by sliding across the stage and giving the camera-and millions of people around the country-a crotch close-up.

Those watching

familiar with Springsteen’s antics weren’t surprised; he loves to go crazy during live shows, and the move is vintage Springsteen. My friends all thought it was ridiculous; I think it was inspiring.

I’ve been listening to Springsteen since before I was born. My parents attribute the ear tags I was born with to the Lexington concert they were at in ’88. According to the theory, the show was so loud, the music so jammin’, the Boss so awesome that my fetal self produced little flaps of skin to drown out the noise. Luckily, my parents chose to have them removed.

Since then, I’ve been to five concerts. Six, if you count the prenatal one. I like to imagine my womb-laden self dancing along to “Thunder Road,” ready to break out of that “town full of losers” and into the world.

I keep coming back because the shows are always different. At 59, Springsteen continues to give concerts famous for being high-decibel, full of energy, and packed with surprise. You don’t even recognize songs you’ve grown up with as he plays them solo with an acoustic guitar and harmonica. He leans into the crowd and lets the pit push him back up. By the time he’s half an hour in, sweat’s flying everywhere. He loves what he’s doing and you love him for it.

His joy is so effusive, the happiness he feels while making music so obvious, it’s infective. Although his songs refer to him working all kinds of odd jobs, there’s only one thing I can imagine him doing.

I’m sure Springsteen has had his fair share of setbacks in his music, but he still loves what he does and I doubt he could live without it. It’s that passion that makes someone an artist. He found his place, and every song of every concert is an affirmation that he has found his place in the world.

Whenever I stop to wonder if I’m doing what I should with my life, I think about Springsteen putting his whole heart into a show. So many people can’t stand their careers. Most everyone has a secret passion they always wish they had pursued.

For me, it’s acting. I spent my freshman year at Macalester College in St. Paul, MN, majoring in economics and math. I enjoyed those subjects. But I didn’t live for them; they didn’t drive me to work for fifteen hours a day at difficult, often frustrating work.

I switched schools and majors. I learned that I can do a lot of things; a few of them I can do really well. But there’s only one thing that makes my eyes light up. There’s only one thing I want to do forever. I’ve found what I love.

Bruce Springsteen and I have very little in common. He’s a songwriter and guitarist; I can hardly play the recorder. He is the smoothest of the smooth; my brother gives me crap for running into walls. His nickname is the boss; my friends call me “Nat the Homeless Ferret.” You get the idea.

But in this one regard, I recognize part of myself every time I see Springsteen perform. The part that has something to say, that makes me get up in the morning.

I’m glad Springsteen decided to play the Super Bowl. It gave people who’ve never seen him a chance to experience his joy. Take a look at a clip of the halftime show. Whatever you love, I hope you’re inspired to pursue your passion.

Nathaniel French is a sophomore theater studies and math double major. He can be reached for comment at [email protected].