Giamatti makes you root for him in “Barney’s Version”

It’s not everyday that you get to see a fumbling Canadian Jew wrapped around a murder mystery plot stuck in the center of an indie romantic comedy, however, in the Paul Giamatti starring movie “Barney’s Version,” that’s exactly what happens.

The film, which spans three decades of Barney’s, an aloof-esque writer turned television producer, life, is based off of the popular book of the same name by famous Canadian author Mordechai Richler.

Throughtout its entirety, “Barney’s Version,” showcases the three marriages that the movie’s main character finds himself in.

The first marriage is with Clara Charnofsky, a pregnant, angry red head played devilish and delightfully by Racheal Lefevre. Barney, who only agreed to marry her due to the fact that he got her pregnant, is soon disappointed to find out that the baby he thought was his turns out to be half-black (which is impossible for this Canadian Jew). Needless to say, Barney soon ends the marriage and is once again left searching for love.

Waiting in the wings to be Barney’s second wife is Mrs. Panofsky number two, a spoiled, princess like character, played by the thick accented, stubborn Minnie Driver. Driver, who is never really given a name in the film, comes from a family with deep pockets and she’s not ashamed to admit it.

It is at the couple’s wedding that Barney finally meets the love of wife, a intellectual, understanding being played gracefully by Macha Grenon. Her name is Solange, and to Barney, she is perfect. She reads books, knows the history of Barney’s cigars, and most importantly, understands who Barney is as a person.

Even on his wedding night, Barney asks to run off with Solange, he is a man in love, and nothing is going to stop him. After finding Minnie Driver’s character in bed with his best friend, Barney finally meets up with Solange and the two eventually get married.

The film is supposed to be told from the writings of the main character, but sometimes, this story telling device is lost. However many flaws the film may have, all is forgiven with the “you’re gonna love me” performances by Paul Giamatti and Dustin Hoffman. Hoffman, who plays Barney’s enabling dad, is just as convinving as the story’s lead.

Giamatti makes you root for him in the film. Even though his character is a self-loathing alcoholic, who cares more about a hockey game than he does his relationships, you can’t help but want him to be happy. Maybe it is in the way Giamatti makes Barney so helpless, or maybe it is the story in itself, either way, you are going to come out of the film Giamatti’s biggest fan. 

“Barney’s Version” opens this Friday at the Angelika Film Center in Mockingbird Station.