And the possible nominees are…

The Christmas tree has been put back into the storage, all of the turkey leftovers have been eaten, and your recycling bin is filled with empty champagne bottles. That can only mean one thing: awards show season is upon us.

If you feel like you haven’t caught up on your cinema-going and seen anything likely to be nominated, you’re not alone.

The Academy Award nominations and ceremony were scheduled earlier this year to compete in the ratings game with the growing number of awards shows.

The nominations are usually announced in February and the winners are awarded Oscars in March or as late as April. This year, nominees will be announced in late January and the awards will be held at the end of February.

The earlier date gives movies released later in the season less of a chance since any Academy ballots not sent in by this week won’t be counted.

But the early deadline, along with critics’ predictions, does allow other awards shows to serve as preliminaries of a sort.

For example, the Golden Globes, held on Monday, presented Hollywood with a few surprises as well as some insight into who might win the coveted Oscars in February.

So which films, filmmakers and actors might be nominated for an Academy Award this year?