Celebrating MLK

The Unity Walk began with a welcome from Dean José Bowen. As I made my way outside to light my candle, I turned to see a small, but friendly group of people join me around the front of Meadows School of the Arts.

Once everyone was outside, guarding the flame of his or her candle, we watched as President R. Gerald Turner unfurled the banner to carry at the front of the walk.

Students from the Meadows school began to sing “Lift Every Voice,” “This Little Light of Mine,” “Bye an’ Bye,” and then joined him as we processed down Bishop Boulevard.

Finally arriving at Hughes Trigg Student Center, I was greeted by a chorus singing “We Shall Overcome.” In a program following the actual walking, President Turner gave an address in which he commented on the historic moments that took place the past couple of days and the implications of President Barack Obama’s inauguration.

Set up behind the podium was a display of articles from when Martin Luther King, Jr. himself spoke at SMU. In light of America entering a new presidency, that of an African-American, in the week that we recognize as Martin Luther King week, the force of how far civil rights pilgrims had come, came crashing down on me.

After President Turner’s address, representatives of Paul Quinn College took his place. Elizabeth Wattley, Coordinator of Community Partnerships, and Greg Shirley, Coordinator of Career Development and Student Leadership reviewed the memorable events of Monday and Tuesday. Paul Quinn College and SMU came together for two community service events on Monday, and spoke about events that will take place throughout the rest of the week.

This Friday, at SMU there will be a Unity Mixer to commemorate one of the most historic MLK weeks ever seen. The last speaker of the evening, Ke’Ana Hardy, SMU’s Coordinator of African American Student Services, mentioned a song that was sung in the walk, “Bye an’ Bye.” Looking at the lyrics, she says that it is especially significant today because it is an accurate reflection of the trials that are not only faced but also overcome.

The Unity Walk was a good experience for me, not because it opened my eyes to racism, but because I had an opportunity to witness people from different places coming together for a meaningful purpose. I mentioned friendly people earlier, and I meant it.

I was greeted by students from SMU and was never ignored. The Paul Quinn students didn’t keep to themselves either, as I might have assumed they would. I met several and saw them mingle with others. It was truly unified.