Fashion blogger “Man Repeller” promotes collection at North Park Neiman Marcus

Leaving the WAC an unwise idea
Leaving the WAC an unwise idea

Style blogger Leandra Medine appeared at NorthPark Wednesday. (Courtesy of manrepeller.com)

A cropped fur coat, tortoise shell glasses and a gold knee-length mermaid skirt were some pieces worn by stylish fans Wednesday night at Neiman Marcus for blogger Leandra Medine’s appearance.

Medine came to town to promote the collection that she created with Patterson J. Kincaid: Man Repeller x PJK.

Medine is the “Man Repeller” herself. She coined the phrase which means “dressing in a way that is potentially offensive to the opposite sex,” three years ago when she created the self-titled blog chronicling her quirky-chic style.

The event was on the second floor of Neiman Marcus at NorthPark Center, next to Alice and Olivia.

Models stood on five platforms that lined the walkway, just past women’s shoes. Each model, standing still as a statue, wore a look from the Man Repeller’s collection. They watched as eager fans awaited their chance to meet Medine, wearing Isabel Marant lace-up heels and a necklace that read “Y O L O.”

The crowd wasn’t the only admirer of the Man Repeller. Jean Scheidnes said, “We’re fans and we think her collection is a fun addition to Cusp, our contemporary area.”

Scheidnes is the social media managing editor of NMDaily, Neiman Marcus’ blog.

The looks from Man Repeller x PJK included cropped floral jeans with an off-the-shoulders white top. Another was a high-waisted tropical short with a blue printed blazer paired with a graphic tee that displayed a unicorn with a corn on the cob for a horn-a “unicorn-on-the-cob.” As for wearability, model Kaylin Rogers said, “I’m loving these silk shorts that I’m wearing. They’re so comfy.”

For two hours, Medine charmed the crowd of fashion enthusiasts, who drank Perrier water and Mionetto champagne from flamingo straws.

Medine is one of a few fashion bloggers who collaborated with designers to create a collection. Today, thousands of fashion blogs exist, but only those that adhere to professional journalism standards succeed.

The most influential fashion blogs work with rewardStyle, a company that monetizes blogs and offers commissions to bloggers based on viewer traffic.

What makes the Man Repeller stand out from other blogs?

According to Amber Venz, president of rewardStyle, “Leandra [Medine] had good timing with a specific point of view. She is definitely influential from a retail standpoint.”