Men’s golf finishes co-champion at Colbert

Mens golf finishes co-champion at Colbert

The SMU men’s golf team fired a final round 310 to finish co-champion of the Jim Colbert Intercollegiate at Colbert Hills Golf Course in Manhattan, Kan. Behind the leadership of seniors Brock Mulder, Ryan Abbate, and Stephen Sparolini, the team held a commanding 11-stroke lead entering Tuesday’s final 18 holes.

“This course we played on was the toughest course we played on so far, but everyone did their part,” junior Ben McCaslin said. “The wind was blowing at least 25 to 30 miles an hour, which was difficult.”

Lamar, a Kansas University, was in second place entering the final day of action. It posted a 299 to tie the Mustangs. Tuesday’s final round was led by Mulder, who finished in eighth with an 11 over par 227 over the two day, three round tournament.

Abbate finished two spots back in a tie for 10th with a three-round total of 229. Mulder fired a final round 77, while Abbate finished with a 78 on the lengthy par 72, 7,525 yard track.

Mulder led the SMU attack Monday during the 36-hole marathon at Colbert Hills Golf Course. After an opening round 76, he fired back with an afternoon 74. Abbate and Sparolini followed Mulder’s charge with identical 151 scores.

Mulder ended the day in a tie for third, while Abbate and Sparolini were in a four-way tie for sixth entering Tuesday.

Sparolini and McCaslin finished tied for 20th with final scores of 233. Playing as an individual, freshman Will Dodson fired the team’s lowest round of the day at 74 to finish 234.

Senior Nicholas Loar bounced back from an opening round 80 with a 76 in the afternoon session for a 36-hole total of 156. In his first action of the 2002-03 season, McCaslin is in a tie for 24th with a 157 after two rounds.

“This was a bittersweet victory,” McCaslin said. “We came out ahead, but we could have played better.” Going into this tournament we knew we could play pretty well because we were much more prepared for this tournament than the last one.”

Loar finished tied for 31st with a final 235 for the tournament, while Junior Doug McKeever finished 29-over par with a 245.

The SMU golf team returns Oct. 7 and 8 when they travel to Camarillo, Calif., for the Pepperdine Club Glove tournament.