SMU Diary: Students spend quality time with Karen Hughes

SMU Diary
SMU Diary

SMU Diary

We’re late. We’re late. For a very important date…with “the most powerful woman in the White House.”

Our day began with a record-breaking 200 meter dash through the parking lot of Love Field Airport to the gate to welcome Karen Hughes back to Dallas and SMU. The woman considered the president’s most trusted adviser arrived without escorts on a Southwest direct flight from Austin

Dressed in her black “conservative” suit, Karen Hughes didn’t miss a beat. She endorsed Republican Congressional candidate Jeb Hensarling at lunch, she eloquently praised the work of the Shelter Ministries in the afternoon, and by dinner she was educating the SMU community on media ethics.

But we got to see the behind-the-scenes Karen Hughes when she stepped away from the podium. Relaxed, confident and excited to be back at her alma mater, Karen Hughes sat down with us for some good, old-fashioned girl talk – with a little politics thrown in the mix.

After bringing her up to speed on campus life, Karen Hughes gave us a little insight into her life now that she is back home in Texas.

Top priorities on Hughes’ list of things to do when she moved back home included spending time with family and friends, eating quality Mexican food, buying new floaties for her pool, and taking her son, Robert, to an empty parking lot to practice his driving.

Whether she is advising her son behind the wheel or advising the President in the Oval Office, Hughes seemed to have the answer. For us, Hughes serves as a role model for young women who want it all – a fabulous career and a family as well. She showed us you can be devoted to your family while still being passionate about your career.

“Pick your boss wisely, girls,” she told us.

Of course we can only hope that our boss will end up being the President of the United States.