Greek women bridge SMU diversity gap

Amid student rallies and calls for increased diversity awareness at SMU, the women of Delta Sigma Theta and Chi Omega worked to bridge the gap between Greek councils Friday at the Red Stop Chill Out.

“I think we all do get along and we are all friends but you have to come to events like these to make those connections,” Chi Omega president Meredith Jones said.

The dance party, held at The Falls at Dedman Center, featured music by DJ Lucky and free Pokey O’s and Pinkberry.

As the Deltas strolled and the Chi Omegas danced with the event’s participants, Student Body President Elect Ramon Trespalacios chatted with the Chill Out’s attendees.

“I was really excited for today because there were tons of events, from Perunapalooza to a taco eating contest to Diversity Week to the Bhangra Blitz teaser and now having two sororities from two different councils do something to bring the community together is amazing,” Trespalacios said.

The event was created by Delta Sigma Theta junior Devean Owens and Chi Omega’s Brie Strickland in class and came to fruition when Owens contacted Chi Omega social chair Emily Hegi.

“This event is unique because this is one of the few times a National Pan-Hellenic Council sorority has partnered with a National Panhellenic Conference Sorority,” Owens said.

When thinking of the traits that both organizations had in common, the color red became the obvious choice, with the Deltas sporting crimson and cream and the Chi Omegas wearing cardinal red and straw yellow jerseys.

The name of the event, Red Stop Chill Out, came from a play on the letters of the words. Owens explained the title could be read “reD STop CHIll Out,” forming DST and Chi O.

“This social event gives students the opportunity to mix and mingle with other students they probably wouldn’t have normally met,” Delta Faith Miller said. “I think it’s just a really good experience for students of all organizations to come out and enjoy being around other SMU students.”