Online sensation hits Hilltop

She made over $40K in just one week and her original song jumped the iTunes chart to number 19. Not many 13 year-olds can say that.

Rebecca Black and her song “Friday” have taken the world by storm. Black released the song last Monday and it didn’t take long before the video went viral.

Her music video has currently received over 44 million views on YouTube and even major television networks, like ABC, have come knocking on her door. Her surge in popularity has been attributed to a Tosh.0 blog post entitled, “Songwriting Isn’t for Everyone.”

While the song’s lyrics (“Yesterday was Thursday, Thursday/ Today is Friday, Friday”) have critics cringing, it hasn’t slowed the arrival of the popular song to the Hilltop. SMU students have quickly caught onto the trend.

“I’m not sure that anyone actually likes the song, but they like the jokes that come out of it and that’s enough to keep everyone singing it all day and buying it on iTunes,” sophomore Kathryn Bentley said.

Though some students enjoy the song as a guilty pleasure, others have a more passionate negative response.

“She hurts my soul. I hope her career goes up in flames,” sophomore Michael Hamel said. “Although I am waiting for the follow up song. I am dying to know what comes after Sunday. She never told us.”