New Downtown Dallas park connects divded city

The falafel platter is just one of many authentic dishes at Food from Galilee located in Snider Plaza.
Tashika Varma / The Daily Campus

Kyle Warren Park plans to bring much needed green space in Dallas. (Courtesy of Kyle Warren Park)

The Dallas Arts District is welcoming fall with its special line-up “Arts in October.” The month long celebration features a series of new events, performances and exhibitions at the many museums, centers and theatres within the District.

A new venue opening, Klyde Warren Park, tops the season’s must-sees.

Construction of the 5.2-acre park over Woodall Rodgers Freeway began back in 2009. Three years later, managers of the site, the City of Dallas and Woodall Rodgers Park Foundation are promoting the green space as a bridge between the Arts District, Uptown and Downtown.

“Connectivity is central to Klyde Warren Park’s purpose,” the web site wrote. “The Park will promote increased pedestrian, trolley and bicycle use between Uptown, Downtown and the Arts District, contributing to a more walkable city center.”

The Dallas Museum of Art, Nasher Sculpture Center, Meyerson Symphony Center and AT&T Performing Arts Center are all within walking distance of the park site. Embracing the area’s artistic culture, the park’s grand opening weekend, Oct. 27 to Oct. 28, will feature a symphonic concert from local pop rock band The Polyphonic Spree.

“This is an event I am quite excited about,” Founder and Lead Member of Polyphonic Spree Tim DeLaughter said in a September press release. “This project is definitely one for the books for me.”

Trombone Shorty, a Grammy-nominated trombonist and trumpeter, also headlines opening weekend. Shorty and his troupe, Orleans Avenue, hail from New Orleans, but have toured across the country. Klyde Park’s Grand Opening Weekend will be the group’s last stop in Dallas for 2012. DJ Lucy Wrubel, voted to D Magazine’s Top Ten Dallas DJ list, will also lend the event some tunes in between sets.

The concert takes place Saturday, Oct. 27 at 7:30 p.m. on Klyde Park’s Great Lawn. The Great Lawn boasts a 3,000-person capacity limit, but the park plans to attract a great deal more on opening weekend. The Park will be awarding nearly 6,000 complimentary general admission tickets to the public starting Oct. 9.

For more information on Klyde Park, visit theparkdallas.org.