Peruna gets themed for Homecoming

TYLER WILLIAMS/The Daily Campus

(TYLER WILLIAMS/The Daily Campus)

Peruna gets “Wicked” and wild this week as organizations go ‘Broadway’ for Homecoming. Organizations are fitting the themes with shows such as “Mamma Mia,” “Phantom of the Opera,” and “Beauty and the Beast,” just to name a few.

Painted Mustangs are near the flagpole this week, displaying the chosen themes.

Organizations have also been building their floats this week to go in Saturday’s Homecoming parade.

Delta Delta Delta and Sigma Chi announce, “It’s hard to be humble when you’re king of the jungle” with their Tarzan-themed float.

Sana Merchant, the Homecoming queen candidate for Tri Delta, says the building is going “pretty good.”

“We got the trailer, and the guys are doing all the heavy stuff. Now we are going to just do the [other] stuff,” she said.

Merchant also commented that the float is “jungle-themed, with a lot of trees and mountain things going on.”

The first place winner of the painted Perunas, Alpha Chi Omega and Beta, went “Wicked.” Kim Gardner, a member of Alpha Chi, told The Daily Campus, “We are focusing on the good witch in ‘Wicked,'” emphasizing that their queen candidate is “wicked awesome!”

The sorority and fraternity are mainly portraying the queen aspect because “we thought it looked better on the float,” explained Gardner.

Students have until Friday at noon to vote for homecoming candidates at www.smu.edu/elections and float building will continue until Friday at 8 p.m.

Wednesday at 5 p.m., Hughes-Trigg is holding the Homecoming College Bowl in the Ballroom.

Finally, on Saturday, the parade will kick off at 11 a.m. on Hillcrest Avenue through the Boulevard, as well as a concert by Jack Ingram from 12:15 to 1:30 p.m.. At 2:30 p.m., the game will start, and the Mustangs will take on the University of Houston Cougars with the Homecoming crowning at halftime.