Alumni reminisce over Revue

SMU alumni will kick off their homecoming weekend Friday night with the 69th annual Pigskin Revue, performed by the Mustang Band.

Pigskin Revue has been performed every year since 1933, making it one of SMU’s longest-lasting traditions.

Dinner theater style, the show consists of two main sets, a performance by the Mustang Band and a dance set.

Every member of the band is involved in the production, whether writing, performing, working backstage or assisting with the crowd. Auditions are held, giving SMU community members a chance to participate by acting, singing, dancing or performing skits.

Band members have practiced almost every night for the past week and a half for this performance, with some rehearsals lasting until 1 a.m.

Pigskin Revue used to be performed in McFarlin Auditorium but is now performed in the Umphrey Lee Ballroom.

Tommy Tucker, assistant band director, remembers when he used to be a student in the band.

“We used to play two nights. On Friday night, we’d have a full house,” Tucker said. “There used to be a lot of community support, too. If you wanted to be seen, this was the place to be.”

Alumna Amy Williams recalls singing in Pigskin Revue when she was a student in the late ’80s.

“I sang solos and did skits with my sorority, Alpha Delta Pi for three out of the four years I was here,” Williams said. “I sang ‘On My Own’ from ‘Les Miserables’ and ‘Under the Board Walk.’ A D Pi did a skit called ‘Don’t Cry for Me Governor Clinton.’ That was huge. Radio stations were contacting us, wanting us to re-record it.”

Past Pigskin guests have included the Happy Jazz Band from San Antonio, Jerry Jeff Walker, Cheryl Tiegs, Morgan Fairchild, Doak Walker, the Light Crust Doughboys, the original Texas swing band and Bob Hope.

Music this year ranges from traditional “In the Mood” to country with “Cowboy Take Me Away.” Many songs are arranged by Tucker, who also serves as the band’s in-house arranger.

“I spend a couple months over the summer and into the fall picking out songs, arranging them….just preparing for a great show,” he said.

This year’s show features singers Kelley Johnson and Renee Boone from the Meadows School of the Arts and dancer Cara Courtney, a Delta Gamma.

“We’re in a jazz ensemble class in Meadows,” Johnson said. “We got to pick our songs. It should be a lot of fun.”

Courtney said she heard about Pigskin from one of her sorority sisters. She will dance to the Mustang Band version of the Dixie Chicks’ “Cowboy Take Me Away.”

“Since the song starts off as a ballad and then transitions to a more jazzy feel, it’s actually kind of hard, but it seems like it will be really cool,” she said. “I’m really excited.”

Kim Greene, production assistant for the review, says she hopes lots of people will attend the performance.

“We’ve sold a ton of tickets,” Greene said. “I hope everybody comes to see the show.”

Tickets will be on sale at the door, $15 for students, and $25 for adults. Valet parking is provided, as well as a catered dinner. The band will be selling memorabilia, including T-shirts, hats and this year’s band’s CD “Peruna 2001.”