Homecoming events inspire patriotic campus spirit

Time to get those pony ears up and show some school spirit.

Wednesday SMU kicked off its “All-American Homecoming 2002” on the steps of the Hughes-Trigg Student Center.

“This year’s kickoff went so well,” said Christine Broderick, homecoming decorations and candidates vice-chairwoman.

Football Head Coach Phil Bennett, Student Senate President Dustin Odham, homecoming court candidates and student athletes spoke on the importance of school spirit and campus unity.

Broderick said that in previous years when kickoff was held at Gerald J. Ford Stadium there was not a large turnout of students due to the large arena.

“Student interest really improved this year,” said Danielle Davenport, weekday programming vice-chairwoman.

Thursday’s barbecue, catered by Sonny Bryan’s Smokehouse, marked a new SMU tradition introduced to replace the Manada Carnival, which received poor attendance in the past.

“The barbecue was a big success,” said Homecoming Assistant Michelle Adkins.

Adkins, a senior, said she will really miss SMU and is honored to be one of the people who gets to plan homecoming.

“It’s nice to be a part of something that will leave a lasting impression not only with those of us who are graduating, but those who have come back to share in the SMU traditions,” Adkins said.

A homecoming spirit-teaser will take place noon Friday to pep up students for the night’s women’s soccer game vs. Houston at 5:30 p.m. and men’s soccer game vs. Western Kentucky at 7:30 p.m. at Westcott Field.

The biggest celebration of homecoming begins with Saturday’s parade at 10:30 a.m.

Although rain is in the forecast, the homecoming committee said the parade will run rain or shine.

“There’s been a lot of hard work put into organizing this year’s events, and we really want people to be excited about showing their spirit,” said Homecoming Chairwoman Beth Kraus.

Following the parade, women’s volleyball plays Hawaii in Moody Coliseum at 11 a.m., and the football team competes for its first win of the season against Louisiana Tech at 2 p.m. at Gerald J. Ford Stadium.

Sunday at 7:30 p.m. McFarlin Auditorium will host “Homecoming Concert 2002” featuring Cowboy Mouth with special guest Cary Pierce. Tickets are $8 pre-sale and $10 at the door.

Throughout the week, student organizations have built floats for the parade and participated in an annual spirit competition.

Winners of the spirit competition, as well as homecoming king and queen, will be announced during halftime of Saturday’s football game.

Three categories of participants – greeks, student organizations and Residence Hall Association – compete for best student center banner and most participation in a blood drive held Oct. 8-10, kick-off, the barbecue and a community outreach program food drive to benefit the Resource Center of Dallas, Inc.