Nasher comes full circle with lecture series

Art world speakers ignite sculptured themed talks

The Nasher Sculpture Center’s 360 Lecture Series continues its monthly talks this weekend.

Saturday’s lecture featuring artist Tony Feher will be one of the next three chances to experience the series.

According to Kristen Gibbins, the official spokesperson for The Nasher Sculpture Center, the events will continue on a monthly basis.

Focusing on innovations in modern art, the series has brought artists, critics and curators from across the globe to discuss changes in sculpture and design.

So far, the talks have featured visual artists, authors, noted critics and even Michael Corris — a chair for the Meadows Division of the Arts.

Running since late October, the lectures will have been an opportunity to catch a deeper glimpse into the world of fine arts.

The next three events, Feb.25, March 31 and April 28, will highlight Feher, Trenton Hancock and Erick Swenson respectively.

Feher, a visual artist, made his way in the art scene during the minimalist phase and has updated his style to make use of mundane household objects.

Feher will discuss the issues involved with his field, along with his personal story.

Hancock, however, practices a much more narrative style, focusing on a series of mythical creatures he calls “Mounds.”

Working primarily in felt and pencil, Hancock weaves principles of abstract art into his storytelling and will discuss his background.

Swenson, while also dealing with 2-D art, is known for his sculpted pieces depicting various animals.

Having earned a B.F.A. from UNT, Swenson will be delivering his talk near his home turf, as opposed to the other two artists featured.

Contrasting the earlier focus on critics and curators with strictly visual mediums, Feher, Hancock and Swenson will provide an artistic balance.

Each lecture is free with the cost of admission to The Nasher and prices range from $5 to $10 depending on age.

Those who reserve seats to the series will be treated to wine following the talks.

To encourage college-age attendees, students receive discounted admission to the monthly talks.