‘Brown Sugar’ sizzles sweet on the big screen

Brown Sugar sizzles sweet on the big screen

As the chorus of hip-hop artist D’Angelo’s hit single “Brown Sugar” says, “I want some of your brown sugar,” you’ll definitely want to taste this brown sugar.

Unlike previous films with all-black casts (Soulfood, Waiting to Exhale), Brown Sugar looks past color barriers and has mass appeal.

The plot begins slowly as it revolves around two best friends, Dre Ellis (Taye Diggs) and Sidney Shaw (Sanaa Lathan). They’ve grown up together and share a deep-rooted love for the art of hip-hop and for each other.

The meeting of Sidney’s cousin, played by Queen Latifah, and Dre’s sidekick, played by actor/hip-hop artist Mos Def, provides comic relief at the right moment.

The movie sets out to answer the question of whether platonic friends can make their friendship into something more romantic without ruining the relationship.

Despite the slow start, creative cinematography and numerous character development scenes of interaction provide a window into the lives of each cast member, making them real.

After a career move relocates Sidney from Los Angeles to New York, her commitment to her new role as a magazine editor takes hold of her, but doesn’t prevent her from rekindling her friendship with Dre, a hip-hop record executive.

Although Dre is clearly in love with Sidney from their opening conversation, he does what he thinks is right and marries his newest sweetheart, Reese, played by Nicole Ari Parker.

Reese, an up-and-coming young attorney, has all of the qualities his ideal woman should possess.

While continuing their friendship, but seeking new love, Sidney falls for New Jersey Net Kelby, played by the breath-taking Boris Kodjoe.

The on-screen chemistry created by Kelby and Sidney is magnetic, and draws the audience in.

The romantic Kelby sweeps Sidney off her feet and eventually proposes marriage.

As Kelby and Sidney’s relationship develops, Dre’s professional and romantic life disintegrates.

Until now, Dre has masked his true romantic feelings for Sidney. The movie climaxes as Dre tries to do anything within his power to stop her from making the biggest mistake of her life.

In following his heart, Dre also realizes his love for hip-hop is being sold out to the new styles of artists who no longer have any artistic style, but seek the fruitful monetary means it provides.

Diggs and Lathan, also love interests in 1999’s The Best Man, appear compatible from the start due to their comfort level.

Lathan, who is quickly becoming the Julia Roberts of black culture, plays her best role to date, convincingly portraying a woman in search of true love.

They realize the real love they’ve been searching for has been within them all along, but Sidney and Dre are in for an unpredictable surprise, as their professional and romantic lives collide.

A refreshing romantic comedy provides the perfect date feature this weekend. Brown Sugar comes to a theatre near you Friday.