Homecoming hits Hilltop

Every heart will beat true for the red, white and blue beginning at 6 p.m. Wednesday when SMU kicks off its annual homecoming events on the steps of Hughes-Trigg Student Center.

This year’s homecoming theme, in keeping with patriotism and school spirit is “All-American SMU, 2002.”

“We’ve been preparing for this week since last semester,” said homecoming decorations and candidates vice-chair Christine Broderick.

Broderick said that almost all of the vice-chairs stayed over fall break to work on making this years homecoming a success.

Stephanie Underwood, who assisted with public relations for homecoming, sent out flyers and press releases to local radio and television stations as well as local newspapers to promote the events.

“I’m expecting great things this year, and hoping we’ll get more coverage than in the past,” Underwood said.

Many events are for the SMU community only, but Thursday’s barbecue, Saturday’s parade and Sunday’s concert featuring Cowboy Mouth with special guest Cary Pierce are open to the surrounding Dallas community.

“The barbecue is brand new this year,” said homecoming chair Beth Kraus.

Kraus said the Manada Carnival has been done every year, but there hasn’t been good attendance.

“We’ve gotten a great response for the barbecue so far, and we’re hoping it doesn’t rain,” Kraus said.

It will be catered by an off-campus restaurant, and tickets are $8 and include tug-o-war, and musical accompaniment by guitar.

Wednesday also marks the first time since 1999 for kick-off to be held at the student center.

“I think it will be great for school spirit and be much more interactive for the students,” Kraus said.

Floats are in preparation for Saturday’s parade which will begin at the intersection of Hillcrest and Daniel Avenue. It will continue south to Highland Park United Methodist Church and turn onto campus heading north on Bishop to Binkley Avenue.

Hillcrest Avenue will be closed from 10 a.m. until approximately 11:30 a.m. Saturday for parade festivities.

The parade features floats built and designed by students and special entries from alumni and other groups not directly affiliated with the university.

Former SMU swimmer and two-time Olympic silver medallist Martina Moravcova will serve as Grand Marshal for the parade.

Moravcova graduated in 2000 and currently volunteers as assistant coach for the Mustang Women’s swim team.

Following the parade attendants can participate in a silent auction sponsored y the Dallas Area Young Alumni Associates.

Children can gather around the flagpole to play games and be entertained by Tharpo the clown.

As a university tradition numerous activities will take place on The Boulevard in addition to the usual tailgating events before home games.

Student Foundation and the Office of Alumni Relations, who organize homecoming, posted flyers all around campus listing all official homecoming events.

On-line voting for candidates for homecoming court begins Wednesday, and ends midnight Thursday.

Winners will be announced during halftime at the SMU vs Louisiana Tech game.