Straight people come out too

Straight people come out too
Straight people come out too

Straight people come out too

For those of you who do not know, Oct. 11 is National Coming Out Day for the gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender community. SMU’s Spectrum, ALLIES and Student ALLIES will be celebrating early with a masquerade party on Thursday at 9 p.m. in the Varsity in Hughes-Trigg Student Center. Wear a costume or just a mask and come join us all for fun, food, drinks and plenty of dance music. Everyone is invited. So if you’re gay, bisexual or even straight, come on out!

Straight people come out? Sure. Straight people can come out as allies and supporters of the GLBT community.

Straight allies are some of the most effective advocates for the gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender movement. Their voices are often heard when those of GLBT are ignored. From supporting a child to calling a senator to joining a local GLBT group, straight allies can be crucial in a variety of ways. Coming out as a straight ally may be an extremely challenging experience, but many find that it is unexpectedly rewarding.

Some may think that advocating on behalf of GLBT equality is solely the responsibility of gay people. But as straight ally Caleb Baker put it: “U.S. Representative John Lewis once said that the next great movement in America would be the gay rights movement. His words make me remember there are white people fighting for black people’s rights in the civil rights movement. There are men fighting for women’s rights in the feminist movement. I would be greatly ashamed if there were no straight people fighting for gay rights.”

SMU has over 100 faculty and staff ALLIES and has just began a student ALLIES program. These individuals have chosen to be allies to their friends and peers, students who are GLBT and have committed to helping make the entire SMU community safe for GLBT individuals.

To help support your friends and neighbors who are GLBT, make sure to come by on Friday between 11 a.m. and 2 p.m. to pick up either a rainbow ribbon or a rainbow mustang pin to show you are coming out as a straight ally.

If you’re a GLBT individual who is questioning whether you really need to come out to others, remember that coming out is one of the most powerful things you can do for yourself. It is also a powerful thing you can do for others, as studies show that people who know gays are more likely to support the quest for equality. Coming out may be just one step in your life but it is a giant leap for all GLBT people, today and in the future.

To learn more about Spectrum, ALLIES or SMU Student ALLIES, contact the Women’s Center or attend a Spectrum meeting, which are held every Thursday at 8 p.m. in the Women’s Center.

If you’re looking for a nice place to party this Thursday, remember to come by the Varsity.