New make-up salon “Blushington” opens up on Oak Lawn

Erica Penunuri/The Daily Campus
Zach Barnes, Adam Still and Ben Hill face the head during two-a-day practies in preparation for the upcoming season.

Blushington, founded by Stephi Maron from Los Angeles, is a new make-up salon that opened in December 2012 on Oak Lawn Avenue. (Brooke Reagan / The Daily Campus)

Entertaining family in Los Angeles around the holiday season, 23-year-old Stephi Maron looked forward to getting her hair styled with her out-of-town relatives before a fabulous fete. They asked where they could get their makeup done, leaving Maron stumped.

“I decided right then and there to open Blushington,” Maron said.

“I didn’t want to send them to a department store, because they just push you to buy products and you aren’t getting a professional makeup application. I knew I wanted something that was quick and not super expensive. From there, I just went for it and took a chance. I really believe in the need in the market for this.”

Blushington opened its doors in West Hollywood in October 2011. Customers are treated to professional and affordable makeup applications while lounging in pink and white plush chairs and sipping complementary champagne.

With a guilt-free price tag of $40, you can get anything from “Pure and Simple” to “Life of the Party” makeup.

“Blushington is really about the makeup, the industry and our talent without the pressure of spending money,” Maron said.

Word of Blushington quickly spread and Maron’s team starting look at expanding its business.

Blushington opened its second studio on Oak Lawn Avenue in December 2012.

“We decided to open in Dallas, because there was a spot available next to DryBar,” Maron said. “We also did a survey and questionnaire and a lot of women in Dallas indicated they love their makeup and hair. There are always a lot of events to go to in Dallas that women would want to get their makeup done beforehand. We felt it was the perfect location for us to go next.”

Located just minutes from SMU, college women can get their hair blown out at DryBar and conveniently finish their primping session at Blushington before their next formal or social event.

“Sometimes it can be stressful to do my own makeup before an important event, especially when I want to look my best,” freshman Caroline Fletcher said.

“I would definitely love to go [to Blushington] before an A Chi O formal, so I can be confident about my appearance and just focus on having fun.”

Blushington also offers tutorial classes with professional makeup artists for SMU women and other beauty junkies.

“What’s unique about our classes is we allow you to bring in your own makeup,” Maron said. “You don’t have to buy a whole bunch of new products, but you can learn to use whatever you already have. Also, our experts can tell you if you’re using the right products for your skin.”

The artist at Blushington, according to Moran, does one half of your face and you do the other, “so you feel confident as you leave.”

Blushington has no plans to slow down anytime soon.

“We run it as a small business but have bigger goals in mind and have the best practices to get to that level,” Blushington President Allison Conrad said.

“We always look into new locations. We want to be next to DryBar, because there’s obviously a synergy to getting hair and makeup done in one space. New York is the natural next potential location.”

Conrad said Blushington “is revolutionizing how people approach makeup applications.”

Blushington is located at 4218 Oak Lawn Avenue.