SMU community relays for life

SMU student groups and the surrounding community participate in Relay for Life.
Spencer Eggers/ THE DAILY CAMPUS

SMU student groups and the surrounding community participate in Relay for Life. (Spencer Eggers/ THE DAILY CAMPUS )

Hundreds of SMU students walked along the Boulevard, showing their support and raising money for SMU’s seventh annual Relay for Life, which benefits the American Cancer Society.

The event, which started Friday, April 9 at 4 p.m. and lasted until Saturday at 4 a.m., began with a survivors’ lap that celebrated the lives of people who have battled cancer. The caregivers of individuals affected by cancer were also given a special lap, acknowledging their continued support and help through treatment and recovery.

Luminaries, tea light candles lit inside of a paper bag, lit the Boulevard honoring loved ones lost to the disease.  The names of people affected by cancer glowed on decorated bags as students, faculty, survivors and participants walked along the Boulevard in silence during the Luminaria Ceremony.

Junior, psychology major, Angela Uza was one of the many participants at the event who lost loved ones to cancer.

“Relay for Life means a great deal to me. Cancer has stolen several loved ones from me…I Relay for those I’ve lost,” Uza said. “I Relay because I have hope that someday, we will win the war against cancer.”

According to the American Cancer Society (ACS), about 1,479,350 new cancer cases were expected in 2009. Events such as Relay For Life allow ACS to fight back, save lives and research cures.  This year, 111 teams participated in SMU’s Relay For Life and raised over $82,000 for ACS.

Greek organizations, residence halls and other campus organizations helped raise funds and motivate walkers by providing activities and food. The Mac Users Group sold postcard photos for $1, the MoMc Pride group sold cookies and pins for 50 cents, and a few Greek organizations sold treats, henna tattoos and hot dogs. The proceeds from all of these sales benefited the American Cancer Society.

The event included live music by Josh Storie, 8 Tracks, Chase Cundiff and the Co-Pilots, and a live performance by the Mustang Mavericks.  Throughout the night, students participated in a wing eating contest, color wars, the Mr. Relay event, free butt sketches and Lululemon yoga lessons.

“Relay For Life is the one time a year that the whole campus can come together to support a really important cause,” senior, psychology major, Amber Roman said.

Senior, anthropology major, Jasmine Khaleel attended Relay for Life and enjoyed benefiting a good cause.

“I’m here because a lot of people’s lives are affected by this event and it’s great to be a part of such a large group of people that are working towards fighting cancer,” Khaleel said.

Sophomore, business major, Maira Ramirez says she didn’t mind losing sleep to participate.

“Even though the event lasted for 12 hours, I’m glad I stayed and helped raise money to fight cancer,” Ramirez said. “A few hours of sleep is worth the cure that could save millions.”