Ethics debate team places third at TREB

SMU’s ethic debate team SEED competed at the 14th annual Texas Regional Ethics Bowl (TREB) at St. Mary’s University in San Antonio on Saturday where they placed third.

SEED competed with 24 teams from all over the state of Texas. TREB serves as a qualifying event for the Intercollegiate Ethics Bowl (the national ethics bowl).

SEED will go on to nationals in Cincinnati, Ohio next semester. Last year, SEED placed fifth at regionals and went to nationals as well.

In the competition, the teams argued the ethics of different case studies including, “Indigenous Peoples vs. Endangered Species,” regarding indigenous groups’ traditions that may harm endangered species; “De-Sexing Children,” where parents do not enforce any gender-orientated characteristics to their children; and “Retroactive Grade Inflation,” for law students’ GPAs.

The competing SEED members included SMU senior Joseph Gilbert, juniors Natalie Clark and Rachel Buchanan and sophomores Meredith Tavallaee and Celesstia Valdez.

SEED’s coach Stacy Cherones is a doctoral student and couldn’t be happier about their third place title.

“These are some of the most dedicated and talented students that I’ve ever worked with,” Cherones said. “Their hard work really paid off, and I’m enormously proud of them.”

Team members agreed with Cherones.

“We worked extremely hard all year, and it is extremely gratifying to see all our hard work pay off,” Tavallaee said.

Buchanan, a returning member of the team, believed she was fortunate to have the opportunity to compete again.

“It was great to go back to San Antonio or the Ethics Bowl after gaining experience from last year’s events.”

“We grew as a team, and we’re able to flow through rounds by supporting one another’s cases. I am happy to continue preparing for nationals,” Buchanan said. “We are ready to represent SMU at nationals and hopefully receive another trophy!”

Both the national and regional ethics bowls are sponsored by the Association for Practical and Professional Ethics.