Activities fair allows students to get involved

Representatives from over 90 campus organizations will give first-years a taste of what SMU has to offer at this year?s activities fair.

The fair, which will be held from noon to 2 p.m. Wednesday in the Hughes-Trigg basement, will provide members from many campus organizations to answer questions and hand out fliers, in order to get newcomers involved. Organizations include campus religious groups, language clubs, political parties, campus programming organizations, multicultural associations, Greek sororities and fraternities and academic societies.

Getting involved on campus eases the transition from home to college by introducing students to others who share their interests and giving them ideas about what to do outside the classroom and residence halls.

“The activities fair gives first-years a chance to learn about the organizations, gather information and fliers and meet the leaders,” said Lisa Koetter, the director of Week of Welcome.

Attending the fair as a first-year gave Koetter an opportunity to find groups in which she is still involved.

“That’s how I got involved in orientation leadership institute, Week of Welcome, Program Council and Sigma Delta Chi, a business fraternity,” Koetter said.

Students are not the only ones to benefit from the fair. Leaders see the interaction opportunities as a chance to find new members and future leaders.

Young Life staff member Rob Barry hopes the Christian outreach ministry will recruit first-years who attended meetings in junior high and high school. The group has operated on campus for several years and will provide information on how to become volunteer leaders for junior high and high school students.

“We’re looking for kids [we’ve worked with before] to get them plugged in for training and also for a discipleship program and Bible study during the week,” Barry said.

In addition to activities, Dallas pizza vendors will tempt new prospective clients with their wares, handing out slices for the envied title of “SMU’s Best Pizza 2002”.

For those unable to attend, the Student Activities Center on the third level of Hughes-Trigg has pamphlets and information on numerous student organizations.