‘Walk Hard’ is hardly an entertaining film

“Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story” is stupid. Let’s get that straight right off the bat. So before you go catch the new flick from star John C. Reilly (“Chicago,” “Talledega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby”) and producer Judd Apatow (“The 40-Year-Old Virgin, “Knocked Up,” “Superbad”), just suspend any expectations you might have. You’ll have a much better time.

“Walk Hard” follows its titular character, Dewey Cox (Reilly) from childhood on, as he becomes a world-famous musician. As Dewey progresses through every imaginable stage of rock ‘n’ roll from the 1950s through the 1980s, he falls in love with a backup singer named Darlene (Jenna Fischer, “Blades of Glory,” TV’s “The Office”).

Essentially, if you’ve seen “Walk the Line,” “Ray,” “The U.S. vs. John Lennon” or any other biopic or documentary about a musician, you can follow the basic plot of “Walk Hard.” The problem with “Walk Hard” is simply that it’s not very funny. If it weren’t for the insane number of high-profile cameos, it would play out like another entry in the “Scary Movie” series. First “Scary Movie,” then “Date Movie,” then “Epic Movie” and now this film. “Walk Hard” could be titled “Biopic” or “Music Movie” and you’d be more prepared for the film that follows.

That’s not to say “Walk Hard” is horrible. Not by a long shot. The performances and direction are definitely in line with Apatow’s other comedies, which are a cut above most comedy movies made these days. The music of the film is especially delightful with subversive lyrics placed in familiar genre melodies. Every genre or artist reference through music in the film has a spot-on execution, particularly the song that evokes the style of Bob Dylan.

John C. Reilly carries the film well, with a childlike stupidity that would rival Homer Simpson. Reilly acts and reacts to the chaos around him well, and is charming enough to make the audience root for him.

Jenna Fischer is not given much to do, but when she is given a particularly good line or action, she knocks it out of the park. Fischer’s lusty and busty Darlene is a far cry from “The Office’s” mild-mannered Pam, and the character gives Fischer a chance to diversify her repertoire.

Kristin Wiig (“Knocked Up,” TV’s “Saturday Night Live”) plays Dewey’s first wife, who doesn’t appreciate him and thinks he’ll never amount to anything. Wiig, sporting a heavy southern accent, is very funny and lives up to the amusingly cutting precedent she set for herself in “Knocked Up.”

Tim Meadows (“Mean Girls,” TV’s “Saturday Night Live”), however, shines above the rest of the cast as the drummer in Dewey’s band. He has a running gag concerning drug use that will keep audiences in stitches. It also serves to keep the film funny, which is appreciated.

The copious amount of cameos also keeps the film’s humor fresh. The movie features Harold Ramis as a Hasidic Hollywood Jew, Ed Helms as a stage manager, Jack White as Elvis Presley, and Frankie Muniz as Buddy Holly. The film’s best scene comes in the form of an LSD-induced situation in India that presents Jack Black, Paul Rudd, Jason Schwartzman and Justin Long as The Beatles. “Superbad’s” Jonah Hill appears late in the film as the ghost of Dewey’s deceased brother and fires off some of the best lines in the film.

Unfortunately, a film cannot entertain on cameos alone. Unlike “The 40 Year Old Virgin,” “Knocked Up” and “Superbad,” “Walk Hard” simply doesn’t have the heart to counterbalance the vulgarity present in the film, a formula that made Apatow’s previous films such widely appreciated successes. The film relies heavily on jokes about Dewey’s last name and a plotline ripped directly from “Walk the Line.” Also, those of you who blush at nudity should beware: the film has some scenes containing close-up full-frontal male nudity that might shock even the most desensitized comedy connoisseur.

While “Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story” is entertaining at times, it is not consistently funny or appealing. The film’s most fatal mistake is that, with the exception of a few lines or cameo performances, it is largely forgettable. “Walk Hard” should be counted as Judd Apatow’s first misstep, which is not necessarily a bad thing. When you’ve had such a meteoric rise like Apatow, you’re bound to take a step backward at some point. The writer/director/producer already has films in the pipeline that look promising, such as “Forgetting Sarah Marshall” and “The Pineapple Express.” So while “Walk Hard” may not live up to its hype, it by no means signals the end of comedy as we know it. “Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story” hits theaters Friday, Dec. 21.