Professionals advise students on international careers

Spencer J Eggers/The Daily Campus

(Spencer J Eggers/The Daily Campus)

Professionals from Ernst & Young, Pepsi Co. and other companies across the United States advised students to study abroad before pursuing an international career at the Work Abroad event Tuesday afternoon.

More than 50 eager students filled the Hughes-Trigg Student Center Promenade to hear about the panelists’ experiences working overseas.

The panelists included Chris Springfield, Tom Box, Evan Shaver, Angela Eddington and Aliya Khan; all who have previously worked internationally.

The professionals spoke about the difficulties of working in a foreign country and how students can conquer their own international dream jobs.

“I didn’t realize that working abroad is not all fun and games,” Joe Cooper, SMU senior, said. “I can see it is more important to be able to adapt to the culture.”

The professionals explained that students must learn how to communicate the correct verbal and nonverbal cues in each particular environment.

Evan Shaver of Pepsi Co. urged students to differentiate themselves from their peers.

“Show people you understand a market before going into it, so a company doesn’t have to teach you from scratch,” Shaver said. “Studying abroad shows you have a curiosity beyond the United States.”

Chris Springfield of Ernst & Young also said that is important to be a cut above everyone else.

“Companies are looking for people who will be able to get things done while still adapting to a new culture,” Springfield said.

Students listened in as panelists described the worst parts about working internationally.

Aliya Khan, who started Khan Consulting and worked in several countries such as Pakistan and Kenya, said it is never easy to move to a new country.

“I was so homesick every time,” Khan said. “There is a certain point where people do not speak English anymore.”

Tom Box, who worked with post-conflict emerging markets and various groups in Iraq, agreed with Khan.

“At times weapons are being fired directly at you,” Box said. “Find out what you want to do before you move abroad.”

Toward the end of the discussion, panelists advised students to really consider if working abroad is the best decision for them.

Khan said it is necessary to have prior experience in the particular culture you aim to work in.

“Knowing the language is very important,” Khan said. “Study that language and it will get you there.”

Box encouraged students to be optimistic.

“Ask yourself what it is you want to do, keep your options open, experience as many things possible, and you will be surprised where life will take you,” Box said.