Residential groundbreaking kicks off annual Founder’s weekend

Photo illustration by Spencer J Eggers
Dallas Hall first opened in 1915, the start of SMU’s first academic school year. Over the years, campus has changed, but the SMU icon remains the same.

Dallas Hall first opened in 1915, the start of SMU’s first academic school year. Over the years, campus has changed, but the SMU icon remains the same. (Photo illustration by Spencer J Eggers)

The centennial flag was raised and fireworks filled the sky above Dallas Hall last April as SMU celebrated its 100th birthday.

While President R. Gerald Turner remarked that it was a day to commemorate the first 100 years of the school, he emphasized the progress to be made in the upcoming years – especially those before 2015, the centennial of the year the doors of Dallas Hall first opened to students.

This weekend SMU will again celebrate new initiatives as it embarks on the groundbreaking of the Residential Commons Friday at 12:30 p.m. near the Doak Walker Plaza on the southeast corner of campus.

Along with the initial construction of the five new residential buildings, SMU will also celebrate the building of the new world-class intercollegiate tennis center, Health Center and Band Hall.

“I look forward to celebrating the transformation of the campus with the groundbreaking of the Residential Commons while we mark the beginning of new campus construction and renovation,” Brad Cheves, vice president for development and external affairs, said. “It’s a milestone that we will remember for a long, long time.”

As part of the second annual Founder’s Day weekend, the Hilltop is packed with alumni, current students and professors all celebrating the founding and accomplishments of the university.

“We are looking forward to seeing alumni re-connect with their favorite professors, in the classes and at the picnic,” Provost Paul Ludden said.

While having alumni return to campus is a highlight for the administration, current students feel privileged to be a part of the centennial celebration.

“The excitement and energy are palpable! Knowing that I am part of the Centennial Class reminds me that I have been lucky enough to serve as an instrumental part of SMU’s history, legacy and growth,” Adriana Martinez, student trustee to the board, said. “More than ever, my class has been an invaluable contributor to the conversations that will shape the future of our alma mater.”

At a time when SMU announced it’s entrance to the Big East and welcomed legendary coach and hall of famer Larry Brown to the Hilltop, many students say they couldn’t be more proud to be a Mustang.

“This is a time of celebration, innovation, and growth of our university in all regards, and I love having the opportunity to witness and participate in the festivities,” junior Esther Liu said.

“There has never been a time in the history of SMU where so much is happening at once, academically, athletically, financially and physically, and I take great pride in being able to identify with the growing prominence of our university.”

The festivities kick off with the Parent Leadership Council Meeting Friday at 10 a,m. and end Saturday with family day at the Meadows Museum.

“This weekend is quickly becoming one of my favorite SMU traditions, and I know that our campus community, alumni and friends are anticipating a wonderful two days on the Hilltop,” Dr. Lori White, vice president of student affairs, said.

Founder’s Day Weekend schedule

Friday, April 20

10 a.m. Parent Leadership Council Meeting

12:30 p.m. A Centennial Celebration

1:30 p.m. Inside SMU

5 p.m. Picnic with the Profs

5:30 p.m. President’s Associates Reception

6:30 p.m. The President’s Briefing

7:30 p.m. Community Movie Night

Saturday, April 21

8 a.m. Golden Mustangs Reunion

11 a.m. Family Day at Meadows Museum

Check smudailycampus.com throughout the weekend for updates.