‘Hands on’ engineering

Student engineers design hand cycle for paraplegics
Lyle School of Engineering seniors pose with the product of their Senior Design class.
Casey Lee

Lyle School of Engineering seniors pose with the product of their Senior Design class. (Casey Lee)

Life just got a little better for a paraplegic named Kenny.

Bryan Melton, Karl Catoe, Will Bilyeu, David Fultz, Betsy Lewis and Thomas Morstead are all members of an engineering senior design group that has made the “4X Stampede,” a four wheel off-road hand cycle.

The cycle is designed to be hand operated so it’s perfect for individuals who are without the use of their legs.

Melton said Kenny (whose last name was never given) absolutely loved the design the group came up with. He loved the idea of being able to ride it off-road and take it fishing and hunting-but joked the only problem was there was no room for a lady friend next to him.

The group, which made the prototype on a budget of $5,300 provided by the engineering school, chose the project after seeing whom it would benefit.

“Once we met the guy it was for we all just said we have to do it,” Morstead said.

The thought process behind the hand cycle began last September, and 2,219 and a half hours or 92 and a half days of solid work later, the design came to fruition.

“The design changed a lot along the way and we had a lot of issues with getting parts and construction and such but we are all really proud of how things turned out,” Catoe said.

The group was designing the project for an organization called Turning P.O.I.N.T. or Paraplegics On Independent Nature Trips, for their members to use on outdoor adventures.

Once the prototype is completely finished Catoe said the group would be donating it to the organization.

One unique aspect of the invention is that it is not exclusively for disabled individuals.

“Really anyone with adrenaline in their body will ride it and love it,” Lewis said.

The group is currently seeking to patent their design, so they can improve upon it and one day make it commonplace among disabled people that are “outdoorsy and adventurous sports junkies,” Melton said.

The group is proud of their accomplishment of finishing the project, but also the lives it will impact.

“The fact that we can change the lives of some people for the better before we even graduate and have our diplomas, its amazing,” Catoe said.

The group expects the prototype to be completely finished by June.

“We are just saving the world one hand cycle at a time,” Catoe said.