Fashionistas show support for local designers at show

A stillness hung in the air in the venue entrance for a fashion show hosted by The Fashionistas.

Once the giant black doors opened and revealed the runway, the silence quickly diminished.

Chimes of toasting champagne glasses, the strikes of designer heels on marble floor, ambient music and sophisticated laughter danced all around.

The Elizabeth Anyaa designer showcase was about to begin.

The Fashionistas is a non-profit organization that celebrates the artistic visionaries that represent the growing fashion industry in Dallas.

The organization helps promote local talent and provide educational programming through lectures, internships and special events.

Elizabeth Anyaa, a local award-winning textile designer, showcased her pieces through her fashion show at the Trinity Audubon Center Sept. 24.

Anyaa is originally from Sierra Leon in West Africa and received a scholarship to study textile design after graduating from high school.

Now a Dallas resident, Anyaa produces textiles using a sewing-less technique of combining different fabrics to create unstructured works of art.

It is local talent like Elizabeth Anyaa that The Fashionistas appreciate and aspire to support.

The Fashionistas created a student education program called The Fashionistas Two (F2) for talented young designers and other creative minds that strive to work in the fashion industry.

The F2 program helps to educate, showcase and mentor, while giving back to the community.

The program offers scholarships to local students interested in a college education in fashion and extends several opportunities throughout the year to attend educational and fashion-related events.

Megan McQuery, The Fashionistas’ executive director, emphasized the value of the internship’s opportunities.

“From 2010 to 2011, 112 students interned for The Fashionistas for a total of 740 hours experience in event management, runway show productions, design, non-profit management and more,” McQuery said.

McQuery highlighted how the program continues to position Dallas as a growing outlet to the global fashion community.

She said that in order to continue doing so, The Fashionistas need a workforce of talented and creative minds entering the industry.

“Additionally, we work to place exceptional F2s with internships in the fashion industry in Dallas,” McQuery said.

Guillermo Mendez, a Wade College student and exceptional F2 member, was given the opportunity by The Fashionistas to work with designer Elizabeth Anyaa in preparation for her fashion show.

For Mendez, being able to work with Anyaa was “amazing.”

“[Anyaa] taught me a bit of her felting technique and let me create one of her designs for the show,” Mendez said. “It was truly a great opportunity.”

Each time the school year comes to a close, the program showcases its young and talented members at the Young Designers Showcase, a famous fashion event that rewards and inspires students.

The program also offers members first-hand experience working with fashion industry professionals to develop a strong work ethic.

In addition to these opportunities, the F2 program lends its time, talents and efforts to various charity events.

With a calendar full of events, those involved with the F2 program rarely find themselves with free time.

For those interested in showcasing their talents in the fashion industry, becoming an F2 member should be the first step.

Being able to learn so much about the industry is an opportunity that should not be overlooked.

Visit www.thefashionistas.org and sign up for your F2 membership today.