Student remembered

Jaber Sadeq Obituary
 Student remembered
Student remembered

Student remembered

A memorial service will be held at 5 p.m. Friday for Jaber Sadeq, a junior engineering major who killed himself Friday. The services will be held by the SMU outdoor pool.

Sadeq came to SMU in the fall of 2000 from Kuwait. He joined the swim team. and lived in Boaz Hall.

“He[Jaber] was an athlete taking on one of the most difficult curriculum [EE] on campus, but he was making satisfactory progress,” said. Leo Pucacco, one of Sadeq’s former advisers.

Sadeq attended the American School in Kuwait, graduating in 2000. At ASK, he was a four-time MVP swimmer and two-time MVP volleyball player. In 1999, he was named ASKAthlete of the Year for his accomplishments in swimming, volleyball as well as basketball and track.

Before traveling to Dallas, Sadeq competed in countries including Egypt, Greece, Jordan and Syria. He also participated in eight Gulf Corporation Council Championships.

While in high school, he became an elementary school swim instructor. Cameron Fritz, Sadeq’s former coach at ASK, wrote in an e-mail that Sadeq had become an ideal role model for beginning swimmers.

A number of Sadeq’s friends wrote down their feelings.

“Jaber was kindhearted, a leader, a role model, an inspirer, a joker, self-motivated and a very strong individual,” sophomore Brittany Crawley said.

“He was the most courageous and vibrant individual,” junior Joshua Lintz said.

“Everyone who knew him loved him,” said second year law student Andrew Novak, who had been one of Sadeq’s former resident assistants.

“He touched our lives with his pure heart, character, humor, and friendship,” Novak said.