Women’s hoops signs four for 2008-2009

The SMU’s women’s basketball team announced yesterday the singing of four new members for the 2008-2009 season. Four national letters of intent come from three athletes out of Texas and Kansas.

The new class will include center Christine Elliott from Wichita, Kan., guard Samantha Mahnesmith from Kennedale, Texas, forward Alicia Mitcham from Mesquite, Texas, and forward Morgan Shell from Marble Falls, Texas.

An upcoming graduate from Southeast High School in Wichita, Elliott, standing at 6-feet-5-inches, is an experienced post player, and earned All-City honors from The Wichita Eagle for averaging 18.2 points in each game last season.

Head coach Rhonda Rompola said in a press release, “[Christine] is a strong post player, a mobile post player, and we expect her to come in and make an impact right away. She’s a very strong rebounder. We need some more toughness on the boards, and she can provide that.”

Mahnesmith has brought in a career total of 1,892 points while playing at Kennedale High School, averaging 25.9 points per game. The 5-8 shooting guard was a first-team, All-District 10-2A honoree, and has been named All-Region and All-State by the Texas Girls Coaches Association and the Texas Association of Basketball Coaches.

Explained as “a pure scorer who really knows how to get to the hoop,” Rompola hopes Mahnesmith’s penetration will help the team get to the free-throw line. Mahnesmith has been ranked as the No.13 senior in Texas by Premier Basketball Report, and has also been the leading scorer in 3A in the two previous seasons, achieving the No. 34 ranking in the nation last year.

Mitcham, called the most athletic of the new group by Rompola, is a strong forward coming from West Mesquite High School and is ranked as the No. 23 senior in Texas by Premier Basketball Report. The 6-feet-2-inches tall senior was also named as a TGCA and TABC All-State and All-Region honoree player, as well as Most Valuable Player in last year’s District 10-4A. Mitcham averaged 19 points and 12 rebounds in each of her games least year.

“She’s a slasher who is quick and athletic on the boards,” said Rompola. “She is a forward-post who can defend on the perimeter and in the paint.”

Shell, a 5-feet-10-inches tall forward, also earned TGCA and TABC All-Region and All-State honors, and was also named All-Central Texas by the Texas Sportswriters Association after averaging 20 points, 7.6 rebounds and 3.5 assists her junior year.

“Morgan is someone who will add some depth for us outside, and we want to come off screens and just fire away,” explained Rompola.

Noted as No.15 by Premier Basketball Report, Shell has a total of 1,906 points in her career so far.

With four seniors on the team this year, these players will be a welcome addition to the team next season.