Home finale for 2007 season

SMUs DeMyron Martin is tackled by a Rice defensive player as Rice cornerback Gary Anderson Jr. looks on.
Stuart Palley
SMU’s DeMyron Martin is tackled by a Rice defensive player as Rice cornerback Gary Anderson Jr. looks on.

SMU’s DeMyron Martin is tackled by a Rice defensive player as Rice cornerback Gary Anderson Jr. looks on. (Stuart Palley)

The Mustangs don’t have much left to play for other than pride in the final two games of the season.

SMU will not be going to a bowl game, it will not compete for a conference championship and does not have the record many would hope for 10 games into the season.

The Mustangs will be facing their toughest opponent of the season, aside from Texas Tech, when UCF comes to Ford Stadium on Saturday. The Knights are coming into the game with a four-game winning streak, and the best rushing offense in the conference.

Leading the rushing attack is Kevin Smith, who is less than 150 yards away from 2,000 rushing yards this season.

The Mustangs have had their problems with teams that have a big running back. UTEP’s Marcus Thomas and Tulane’s Matt Forte almost singlehandedly beat SMU.

Adding to the problem is the players who will be absent from the Mustangs’ lineup this weekend.

Defensive players who will miss the game are Charlie Berry, Bryce Hudman, David Haynes, Cory Muse and Ryan Leonard. Serge Elizee is currently suspended for a violation of team rules and might play on Saturday.

On the offensive side of the ball, Aldrick Robinson and James Mapps will not play on Saturday against UCF.

But some of the additions to the team have been successful.

Redshirt freshman safety Tyler Jones has been one of the Mustangs’ best tacklers over the past three games. Defensive linemen Youri Yenga and Jordan Johnson have had an impact on getting pressure to the quarterback.

Seeing the most time he has all season, running back Chris Butler showed his ability to run the ball last week against Rice.

SMU has proven to be able to come from behind and to come out and take an early lead. The only thing they can’t do is find a way to win. If the Mustangs can play a solid fourth quarter it would be a big help to reaching that goal, and just their second win of the season.

The Mustangs will have to continue playing better on defense and continue to throw the deep pass that has been successful over the past few weeks if they want to keep up with the Knights.

Kickoff is scheduled for Saturday at 2 p.m. at Ford Stadium.