West Nile visits Park Cities

AP
An operations manager at Dallas Executive Airport helps hold up a map of Dallas County that highlights areas targeted for spraying.

An operations manager at Dallas Executive Airport helps hold up a map of Dallas County that highlights areas targeted for spraying. (AP)

SMU and University Park have been feeling the effects of the West Nile virus with three recent cases in University Park.

“It’s something I’ve never really had to think about before, but now I am having to consider taking precautions,” senior Mallory Presutti said. “It’s scary, I’ve already been bitten by mosquitos just moving in this weekend.”

The West Nile virus has been in the United States since summer 1999 and can infect humans, birds, mosquitoes, horses and a few other animals. The virus is transferred most easily through mosquito bites. Most people who are infected with West Nile will not show any symptoms. Only 20 percent of people will have mild symptoms like fever, headache and body aches.

The more severe symptoms are headaches, high fever, neck stiffness, stupor, disorientation, coma, tremors, convulsions, muscle weakness, and paralysis. About one in 150 people will develop the severe symptoms. It is rare that deaths occur from this virus.

The SMU Health Center will test and care for anybody who suspects they are infected with West Nile.

Some students are concerned about the West Nile virus.

“I’m worried about the amount of people being infected by the West Nile in Dallas, but it will not affect the amount of time I spend outside on campus,” senior Tomin Kozhimala said.
Because of the amount of cases in Dallas, the city of University Park has been spraying for mosquitos.

There has been aerial and ground spraying on Thursday, but additional mosquito spraying was cancelled due to Dallas County wanting to evaluate the need for further spraying. An updated schedule of aerial will be available on Aug. 20 at http://www.uptexas.org.

There has been controversy over the aerial spraying and what it means to the surrounding community. Southern Methodist University Associate Professor Brian Zoltowski spoke to CBS 11 about the issue saying “If you ever take Raid and spray on a bug, they basically drop to the ground. That is what they [the spraying] are designed to do. They basically stop their ability to move.”

Zoltowski explained that these chemicals have been sprayed on yards for years for pest control. He continued to say that the amount the city will be spraying will kill mosquitoes, bees and fish, but will not harm humans and pets.

“I weigh around 70 kilograms which means I would need to consume 400 grams for this to be harmful to me. In one acre of land, they are only going to spray 20 grams,” Zoltowski said to CBS.