Tackle the week of Halloween treats

Illustrated by Anne McCaslin Parker

(Illustrated by Anne McCaslin Parker)

Do you dread Halloween week because you know you will be surrounded by all of your favorite candy treats? Are you worried you will be tempted and unable to resist?

Stop worrying so much! Halloween only comes once a year. If you want a piece of candy, eat a piece of candy. It is all about balance.

You will not gain 5 pounds if you indulge in a Reese’s Pumpkin or a pack of M&M’s. Just be smart about it.

Here is the lowdown on Halloween candy: stick to one serving and you will be more than fine.

Most Halloween candy comes in “mini sizes” and “fun sizes.” Mini sizes usually are a tad smaller than fun sizes with about 30 less calories. It is rare that one of these small pieces have more than 100 calories.

However, do not eat a ton of miniature candies in one sitting. Everything adds up. Pick one type of small piece you want to have each day of the week. It will give you something to look forward to.

If you overindulge, tack on 10 extra minutes of your workout for the day.

If you know you are going to a Halloween party with a lot of treats involved, eat clean throughout the whole day and save up for your party.

Don’t miss out on having fun this week because you are nervous about eating your favorite sugary snack.

You can always get right back on track! One yummy treat never hurt anyone.