Weekend action at Perkins Natatorium

The Mens swimming and diving team will look to go 3-0 on the season this weekend.
Stuart Palley
The Men’s swimming and diving team will look to go 3-0 on the season this weekend.

The Men’s swimming and diving team will look to go 3-0 on the season this weekend. (Stuart Palley)

Both the men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams will compete at Perkins Natatorium tonight.

The men are hostingWyoming in their third meet of the year.

The Mustangs are 2-0 with wins against Centenary College and Air Force.

Against Air Force, Alex Hetland and Maverick Smalley won both of their events. Hetland won the 200-yard IM and the 100-yard breaststroke; Smalley won the 500-yard freestyle and the 200-yard freestyle.

Also winning was freshman diver Matthew Culbertson. Culbertson won the one meter dive.

The Mustangs also won the 200-yard medley relay with a team consisting of Pontus Renholm, Hetland, Brett Denham and Thomas Fadnes.

Also earning a victory in his event was Luka Vrtovec. Competing in the 50-yard freestyle, Vrtovec won with fellow Mustang Greg Doughty finishing right behind him.

The women will also compete tonight against Wyoming and North Texas.

The Mustangs are coming off a second-place finish at the SMU Classic where they placed behind the No. 7 Texas A&M Aggies.

Freshman Audra Egenolf won both of her diving competitions, the one meter dive and the three-meter dive.

In the 200-yard backstroke race, Anja Carman finished first, and she placed third in the 500-yard freestyle as well. Both finishes qualified Carman for NCAA consideration.

The SMU 400-yard freestyle relay team also qualified for NCAA consideration with its second-place finish. Competing on the relay team was Petra Klosova, Jennifer Blackman, Elzanne Werth and Angela San Juan Cisneros.

Both meets will begin at 6 p.m.