Tanning not worth the risks

With summer fast approaching and Texas heat already here, the need for a good tan has become a top priority for some college students.

Tanning salons have become popular, but the negative effects of artificial tanning cannot be ignored, including increased chances for different types of skin cancer.

Sophomore Joyann King, is one of these golden brown beauties. She says she is aware of the harmful effects of her skin-tanning habit but says she is not that concerned.

“Oh yeah, we all know tanning gives you cancer, wrinkles and can fry your ovaries, but who wants to think about that at 20?” King said.

What some artificial tanners may not understand is that by age 25, overexposure to ultraviolet rays can lead to a cancer that is not only serious but sometimes fatal.

Information about tanning is plentiful, but the public often chooses to ignore it. The number of skin cancer cases in the United States has increased dramatically during the past two decades, mostly because of overexposure to UV rays.

These rays come not only from the sun, but are replicated in tanning beds to create the same bronzing effect on your skin. The National Cancer Institute predicts if current trends continue, 40 to 50 percent of all Americans will develop at least one skin cancer in their lifetime.

People of all ages are at risk for skin cancer, but it is most frequently diagnosed in American women between the ages of 25 and 29. Skin cancer is most common in people with light colored skin, however it can occur in people of all races.

Some students believe that because they do not burn when tanning, they are not at risk for skin cancer. That is not normally the case – even those that rarely burn should still protect sensitive areas such as the lips, nose and palms of hands.

The effect of UV light on your skin is dependent upon the intensity and the duration of your exposure. For this reason, artificial tanning can be incredibly dangerous.

Some experts say that going to a tanning bed is simply excessive and dangerous. Overexposure to ultraviolet rays is the cause of skin cancer.

“Tanning beds are not worse for you than regular old sun light, but people use them too often and get a larger dosage of UV rays in a shorter period of time,” said Dr. Darryl Dotson, a practicing dermatologist and part-time professor at the University of Texas in Galveston.

Tanners can either lie in the sun for three hours or lie in a tanning bed for 20 minutes. But this excessive exposure every day accumulates resulting in skin cancer at young ages. Dr. Dotson has seen skin cancer in people as young as 23, and says it was the overexposure to UV rays in their youth that caused the skin cancer to develop so early.

There are two kinds of skin cancer: non-melanoma and melanoma. Non-melanoma cancers are slower growing, easily treated and rarely lead to death. But when neglected they can grow large enough to become disfiguring and can spread.

Melanoma, on the other hand, is less common, but more dangerous. It accounts for 75 percent of skin cancer deaths in this country and has increased by 102 percent since the 1970s.

If warning signs are caught early enough, even melanoma can be conquered. Doctors suggest tanners take time to examine their bodies for warning signs and to look for changes in their skin, such as a growth or sore that won’t heal.

Other signs can include a small lump that is reddish or brown, such as a mole, or a smooth, shiny and waxy looking lump. Skin cancer can also appear as a flat red spot that is rough or scaly.