Annual Fast-a-thon raises funds for orphans

Spencer J Eggers/The Daily Campus
The Muslim Student Association held their annual Fast-a-thon dinner Thursday evening at the Radisson hotel.

The Muslim Student Association held their annual Fast-a-thon dinner Thursday evening at the Radisson hotel. (Spencer J Eggers/The Daily Campus)

Muslim Student Association Secretary Ali Anwar explained that MSA’s “main goal is to unite people — regardless of age, race, ethnicity or religious beliefs — under one common cause: to raise awareness to those who are less fortunate than us.”

Similar to Anwar, MSA President Khurram Taufiq believes Fast-a-Thon allows college students to make a difference

“We as students oftentimes can’t do a whole lot of donating to charities,” Taufiq said. “But Islam teaches us to always give back to the community what we can, regardless of the amount.”

MSA members invited the SMU and greater Dallas communities to join in Fast-a-Thon by pledging to fast from sunrise to sunset on Thursday.

MSA chose to host Fast-a-Thon on Nov. 3 because it falls within the first 10 days of the Islamic month of Zul-Hijjah, during which the Islamic prophet Muhammad fasted.

According to Anwar, the purpose of the fasting pledge is so those involved “can experience one day in the life of the poor or needy who often go for weeks without having an adequate amount of food to eat.”

Freshman Caleb Pool and sophomores Mackenzie Keck and Karin Kuusito fasted for the event.

For Keck, fasting was not too difficult.

“I had school straight through the day… it was more like not eating than fasting,” he said.

Kuusito, a premedical student, found the event to be a “really neat way” for students to get involved and help others, even for those who can’t donate since they “can help orphans by fasting.”

MSA Sisters’ Activities Chair Sarah Jaffar explained that the event is a way to expose non-Muslims to fasting.

“It’s an opportunity to understand the importance to us as Muslims, as well as be able to empathize with orphans all over the world who go everyday not knowing when their next meal will be,” she said.

According to Anwar, the banquet is  “in honor of everyone who helped us raise awareness for the needy.”

The banquet began at sunset, which is the time Muslims are supposed to break their fast.

Focusing on MSA’s “unique and special” aspects, Taufiq explained how “MSA has done so much for us, and no matter how much we do for MSA, it’s never enough.”

Part of the event included an education presentation by Islamic Relief USA spokesperson Anwar Kahn.

Islamic Relief donors sponsor more than 27,000 orphans in more than 22 countries.

Proceeds raised at Fast-a-Thon will go toward Islamic Relief.

Kahn expressed how active SMU MSA has been in fundraising for international charities.

According to Kahn, SMU MSA has raised around $1.2 million in 11 years.

Kahn feels that Fast-a-Thon is a such a powerful event because it brings together all kinds of people to help those less fortunate.