Winning pitch: Ad team sweeps “World Series”

+Winning+pitch
Winning pitch

Winning pitch

Waiting in anticipation while the competition pitches their campaigns, members of SMU’s ad team reflect on their presentation. With the contenders narrowed down to 16 national finalist only the best of the best are left in the “College World Series of Advertising.”

When the announcement is made the 21 members are elated to hear that they have won first place at the American Advertising Federation’s National Student Advertising Competition.

In the final round of competition each college or university presented the ad campaign they created for Bank of America’s Banc of America Investment Services Inc. The students tackle every aspect of the advertising process, starting with vast amounts of research and ending with a finished campaign.

SMU’s winning campaign slogan was “Invest in Life.” Nigel Lowrie said that the team wanted to get away from the typical message investment companies sell – save your money now and it will pay off in the future. An idea coined “slave and save.” Lowrie said that SMU’s concept for the ad was that BAISI will not only help people invest and save their money for the future but help them spend their money wisely today.

“Our campaign was thorough from top to bottom,” Lowrie said. “We went into detail, had original ideas and made the execution of the ads look professional.”

The ad team is comprised of advertising majors who apply in the fall semester to be a part of the honors campaign class.

The selected students are given titles and specific jobs and work throughout the spring semester on the campaign that they will present at the national competition.

“Advertising class only provides a specific view of the advertising process,” said ad team’s VP of creative affairs John Benedict. “With ad team you really have a hand in or directly witness every step of the process.”

Ad team won third place at the national competion last year, but 2002 marked their first time to receive first place.

“SMU’s never won it and it’s rare for a small private university to win,” Interim Direcor of Advertising Jim Goodnight said. “I believe this win reinforces the fact that the Temerlin Advertising Institute at SMU is making a significant contribution to advertising education.”

The Temerlin Advertising Institute for Education and Research was made possible by donations given in honor Linear Temerlin, a veteran ad man and chairman of the Dallas-based Temerlin McClain advertising agency, The donations totaled more than $6 million. The Temerlin Institute, a direct result of SMU’s Capital Campaign.

Temerlin was not available for comment , however Goodnight said “Temerlin considered ad teams win as important to him as acquiring a new account.”